[[Template core/global/plugins/realFaviconGenerator does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]] Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

How streetable is a Husaberg FE570

Gas is expensive. My Jeep kills tires like a baby kills diapers.

I've been bikeless for the last 8 months and it's killing me. If I could commute on the Berg, it might make sense to get this dream machine.

So could I pull off a 20 mile commute (one way) on this bike? What is the maintenance gonna be like on a bike like this. I've had a couple of KTM rfs bikes in the past, so I'm no stanger to these bikes, but I don't wanna be doing oil changes every 2 weeks either.

Will I need a cush hub? Will it go through tires? Will big rigs blow me around on Socal freeways? Does this make any sense? I want a DB again but I don't wanna make an unrealistic purchase and end up driving most of the time.

Not interested in the heavier bikes like the KTM 690 or TE630 even they both seem really nice. I want to ride hard on single tracks on the weekends.

Had a DRZ in the past. Not interested. Basically It's the KTM530, the Berg or wait till I can afford a dirt only model.

Will the 570 work?

Maintenance is the same as rfs I'd say. But in street only use you can stretch the changes pretty far, but more the better. I suppose you'll have supermoto setup? Street tires last very well, but generally it is very hard to not abuse these bikes so chains will stretch and so on, unless you really are patient :smirk:

I have used an rfs for commuting for a long time now and never had problems on street, if I wouldn't have abused them elsewhere they would last forever. Carbed rfs uses 4L per 100km in mixed street use. Berg probably doesn't need a cush hub because it has damped clutch basket. At least 530 is smooth enough without (same clutch).

you'll be doing a lot of oil changes, why not pickup a cheap adv bike, like a vstrom

Basically, I want a dirt bike again and can't justify it, money wise. But if I can save money on gas and tires, it might make some sense . . .

Basically, I want a dirt bike again and can't justify it, money wise. But if I can save money on gas and tires, it might make some sense . . .
There's no way you could ever justify it. Buying a 10,000?$ bike and then putting huge number of miles on it makes no sense, ever. Very soon you'll have halved it's value. However, buying a high mile cheap bikes makes a lot of sense if you can do the repairs yourself.

You know the logical choice.

It's cheap to keep.

Reliable as hell.

You are familiar with it.

I'll whisper, so no one hears,

d

r

z

:smirk:

How about a 450x --- run some DOT dirt tires (606?) and call it a day? You can find some decent used 450x's out there for a decent price. Circa 3500$ ...

My 530 is now a dedicated street sumoto cause I got a 570 for dirt racing. If I had another $10k I'd have another 570 as a street sumoto and sell the 530! Its an awesome bike!

I went thru the same type of "advice" back when I retired my 02 520EXC from racing and made it a street adventure touring bike. It went tens of thousands of miles with only a waterpump rebuild.My brother owned the infamous 450MXC street sumoto that went 48,000 miles without any engine repairs. Every piece of that engine was sold WITH MILAGE DISCLAIMER NOTED on KTMTALK and every piece was within spec and reused by others. The bike was running great at 48,000 street miles!

If you like the 570, want an incredible machine and have the $, go for it! The 530 I have uses basically no oil at all, is geared for aggressive sumoto at 14/48 and I flog it good. Its got 1000+ miles of racing in dirt on it and I'd not hesitate to ride it on a week long trip in any conditions at all. I can't see why the Husaberg will be any different.

Buy it, ride it, wear it out if you can. Sell it or rebuild it. Why waste your precious years on a DRZ in this day and age if you don't have to? :smirk:

Why waste your precious years on a DRZ in this day and age if you don't have to? :smirk:

Amen brother. Did that already and true enough, a :smirk: in the dirt.

You know the logical choice.

It's cheap to keep.

Reliable as hell.

You are familiar with it.

I'll whisper, so no one hears,

d

r

z

:smirk:

Actually my last ride on my 05 DRZ, I pushed it off the freeway. Luckily it died just short of my exit. Pushed it home, loaded it on my truck. Got it repaired. And sold it.

To be fair, it was the valves, which could of happened to any bike. I don't miss it and can't quite understand the affection for them here.

I have ridden all 3 bikes you mentioned in your OP.

I also own a KTM, and a DRZ.

Yes the Berg is badass. It is also 10k.

For general purpose riding, the DRZ works.

I you have the coin for the Berg, I envey you.:smirk:

If you are hurting financially enough that a 20 mile commute's gas is a big deal, you have ZERO business buying a $10,000 exotic dual sport...but you probably already know that.

So, either buy it for the awesome toy that it is, or buy well-used KLR650 for $1700 and commute the shit out if it.

I don't figure we're going to sway you either way.

If the Jeep eats tires that bad something is wrong with it. Fix it first. I drive a highly modified Jeep- locked ,4:1, long armed, 37" tires and wheel it all the time and I have no tire wear issues at all. Something is wrong with it.

If the Jeep eats tires that bad something is wrong with it. Fix it first. I drive a highly modified Jeep- locked ,4:1, long armed, 37" tires and wheel it all the time and I have no tire wear issues at all. Something is wrong with it.

This is true, the front axle C's are bent and camber in, except one side is cambered more than the other causing a shimmey between 30-40 mph. The solution is a new axle housing which obviously is alot cheaper than than a 10K Berg. But if I fix that, I still don't have a DB.

If you think the Jeep eats tires, wait until you see how long a set of good knobbies won't last under that 570 on pavement. Considering how fast dirt tires wear out in the dirt, I can't even imagine how quickly the knobs would be heavily rounded on pavement.

The economics angle probably doesn't pan out. Buy it because you want it and stuff the justifications!

you might check out a DRZ400, cheaper , less maintnance and more oil capacity. Might be worth checking out. A little heavier but that helps stability on street.