Sign in to follow this  

2011 yz250f hour meter problem

Hey just got my new yz250f and went to hook up a tach and hour meter but even after wrapping the wires round the coil but i only get about 120 rpms or less register when i rev it other than that stays on 0.. What should i do so it registers accurately ?

Is it a works connection or trail tech? If so, you need to splice the wire to the positive pickup wire that goes to the coil. I know on the 05, it's an orange wire. I would call the company and tell them exactly what model your installing it on.

yeah i didnt no if i was going to have to splice it with the orange wire or if i could just follow the instructions on wrapping it around the coil cap. thanks ill try your method.

My "new to me" 2007 YZ250F has only about 2 or 3 hours on it. So to hook up a hour meter on a COP spark plug boot, do you wind it around the body of the plug boot or spice it into the wire harness? Thanks!

what kind of hour meter? is it just a plain hour meter? if so, just rap it around the body of the coil. If it's a tach/ hour meter, it needs spliced to the orange wire going to the coil.

My "new to me" 2007 YZ250F has only about 2 or 3 hours on it. So to hook up a hour meter on a COP spark plug boot, do you wind it around the body of the plug boot or spice it into the wire harness? Thanks!

I have the same bike........yes wrap it around 4-5 times, I think rocky mountian has PDF you can view, its a picture of an article from dirt rider (i think)

what kind of hour meter? is it just a plain hour meter? if so, just rap it around the body of the coil. If it's a tach/ hour meter, it needs spliced to the orange wire going to the coil.

It may depent on the brand but I have never had to splice any wires to get the tach to work. I just wrap it around the coil (spark plug cap) and it works. I usually use the Dr D or just the Yamaha hour meter. I think they are made by the same company anyway.

That's the same way I did it as I stated earlier by splicing it to the orange coil wire... The only differance is I stripped about 1/2" of the orange insulation, then soldered the pickup wire for the tach to it...Same Idea, just connect it to the positive pickup wire goiing to the coil, which is orange on the yzf's

great info, thanks!! I was just going for the hour meter for now (oil changes) Offered this seller $8, he accepted so what the heck, all the way from china! HA! It might not last very long

great info, thanks!! I was just going for the hour meter for now (oil changes) Offered this seller $8, he accepted so what the heck, all the way from china! HA! It might not last very long

I wouldnt worry to much about it failing. Most of them are made in China.:thumbsup: