Sign in to follow this  

YZ125 or YZ250

what should i get a Yz125 or yz250? im probaly going with the 250, but just want to see opinions. And I will be getting it when im 15 years old, which is in 5 months.

Im 14 years old, 5'5ft and 140lb

i now have yz85 and have had it since i was 12.

YZ250 - Has more low end power compare to 125 which is good, it will last me a long time but i dont know if its too much power and too heavy for me? im preety strong

YZ125 - its light, but will be wide open all the time like my 85 because all it has is top end power so it will require more top end rebuilds, and i think i will want more power in a couple of years. my dad is going to pay for my next bike but its the last bike hes paying for he said, so i will need to keep it for a while until i can afford one my self, so thats he another reason why im thinking yz250

and will i be able to touch the ground on 125 or 250? I sat on a crf250r the other week and i was tippy toeing to touch the floor. are they roughly the same size as the yz125 and yz250??

:smirk:

go for the 125 plenty of bike once you learn it.

you should be good til you get up into 190lbs

once you have gotten every bit out of a 125 the transition to a 250 will be that much better

What kind of riding? Since you'll have to keep the bike for awhile, I would get the 250. The 250s are not hard to ride and with a few mods it can be tamed.

Height wise, they are all about the same! Weight wise, the 250 is heavier and will feel heavier because of the power of the motor. Fun wise, go with the 125, you can always go to a 144cc kit later! I have a 08 YZ 250 and a 06 YZ 125 that I just bought for my girlfriend. The 250 hasnt left the garage since! I admit that im a tad slower on the 125on my 12km harescramble loop but I think that in a 3hr race I could be faster towards the end with the 125. Only time will tell but im leaning pretty hard on buying another 125 for myself.

I am EXACTLY your height and weight. I can't touch the ground on a 125 but I CAN touch the ground on my 250's. The 250 isn't that heavy (and that's coming from a girl). If you have good throttle control you'll be fine on a 250.

Aligee

Are you saying a stock 2002-2003 YZ125 is taller than a stock 2002-2003 YZ250?

Yessir, 125's are taller! Not by much... but enough that I can't sit on a yz125 but I can sit comfortably on a 250. But chances are you're still growing and would fit on a 125 nicely within a year. :smirk:

Yessir, 125's are taller! Not by much... but enough that I can't sit on a yz125 but I can sit comfortably on a 250. But chances are you're still growing and would fit on a 125 nicely within a year. :smirk:

That is incorrect. They are the exact same height from the factory, 39.1". With that being said, some riders adjust the height. Suspension can also sag over time. Maybe you are sitting on a lowered 250.

I own both, at your age you should be on a 125. They are fun and will make you a great rider.

That is incorrect. They are the exact same height from the factory, 39.1". With that being said, some riders adjust the height. Suspension can also sag over time. Maybe you are sitting on a lowered 250.

bulloneeey! A yz125 is taller than a YZ250. We have had two new YZ125's an 07 and 09. Both are taller than our YZ250 two strokes and the YZF250. I think it is because the heavier 250 sits lower in the stroke

bulloneeey! A yz125 is taller than a YZ250. We have had two new YZ125's an 07 and 09. Both are taller than our YZ250 two strokes and the YZF250. I think it is because the heavier 250 sits lower in the stroke

Thank you!! I have friends who had 125's and I could never sit on them... Had I ever been able to fit on a 125 I probably would have bought one. Ended up with the 250 because I fit on it (glad I went with the 250 anyway). Also go to the Yamaha dealer in town and the brand new stock 125's are taller than the 250's.

Gruberyz and Aligee

I will end this debate, click on these links below from Yamaha. The 2010 YZ125 is 39.3" and the 2010 YZ250 is 39.1". If you think you can feel 2/10 of an inch in height, you should be riding the professional circuit because 90% of the riders cant. Aligee, 2/10" is not going to be the difference between fitting a bike and it being too tall because the suspension is adjustable. I doubt your 6 weeks of riding dirt gives you the experience to make that judgement.

Besides, if anyone found a bike to be too tall by any small amount, an adjustment could be made in a matter of minutes. So, chosing a YZ250 over a YZ125 because of such a small difference in seat height makes no sense.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspecs/30/1/specs.aspx

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspecs/31/1/specs.aspx

Edited by moto_rider7755

Gruberyz and Aligee

I will end this debate, click on these links below from Yamaha. The 2010 YZ125 is 39.3" and the 2010 YZ250 is 39.1". If you think you can feel 2/10 of an inch in height, you should be riding the professional circuit because 90% of the riders cant. Aligee, 2/10" is not going to be the difference between fitting a bike and it being too tall because the suspension is adjustable. I doubt your 6 weeks of riding dirt gives you the experience to make that judgement.

Besides, if anyone found a bike to be too tall by any small amount, an adjustment could be made in a matter of minutes. So, chosing a YZ250 over a YZ125 because of such a small difference in seat height makes no sense.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspecs/30/1/specs.aspx

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspecs/31/1/specs.aspx

I hang out at this dealer a lot since I buy all the stuff for my bike there. I own two yz250's after doing A LOT of research. You're talking off of things you've read, I'm talking after actually trying to sit on many 125's and 250's. It's pretty common knowledge on Thumper Talk that 250's are shorter than 125's, in all brands. I'm not sure why it says only that much shorter on the website, because when I try to get on a 125 I get my thigh on the seat which ends up being higher than my crotch.

** BUT BESIDES THAT, to the OP, you'd probably be okay on a 250, but you'd be better off on a 125, REGARDLESS of the seat height. You have lots of time to move up to the 250 in the future.

Edited by AliGee

Probably a difference in the preload on the rear shock adjustment and fork height in the trees on the bikes you looked at at your dealer. The bikes are pretty much the same height.

14 years old, 5'5ft and 140lb? I'd go with a 125 for sure. In a few more years and a few more pounds, then go to the 250.

125 than 250.

Most people do that, I went from 85 to 125 to 250f to 450.

Unless you are the next and coming bubba and can bench 130lbs, stick to the little bike and learn how to ride it fast. You will be surprised that the cornering you learned from the little bike helped it on the big bike because the big bikes are really hard to turn sometimes.

I even like to jump on my bros 250f sometimes and just rail the crap outta turns:D

Thank you, Blackwoodz...exactly.

Aligee

I read your thread on dirtrider.net the day you posted it in mid April, so I know you couldnt have owned your YZ250 longer than about 6 weeks, maximum. You were tossing around the idea of buying a 85, 125 2t, KTM 105, and a TTR 230. That group of bike are all over the board, a couple of quick MX bikes to a 240 lb cumbersome, underpowered trail bike. The question itself clearly shows your knowledge of dirt bikes in general and thats fine. I try to help out beginners as much as possible. One thing that is hard for me to understand are beginners that spew out misinformation to other beginners. How much information do you really think you can have after 6 weeks of riding?

Your quote - "It's pretty common knowledge on Thumper Talk that 250's are shorter than 125's"

Please show me some proof of 250 2ts being shorter (more than 2/10") than their 125 counterparts. Its certainly not the case with the YZ, I have proven that fact....unless you are saying the Yamaha website is wrong, are you? Yamaha made the bikes and you think they dont know the seat height? You lose alot of credibility with those types of statements. Just for the record, I was riding a YZ125 and a YZ250 before you were born.

Im all about people sharing opinions, but YOU CANT IGNORE FACTS. Please take the time to research before you make such statements to others that may not know any better.

Not trying to jack this thread but I have the same questions? YZ 125 or 250. I am currently riding a CRF 450 and want something a little lighter to play/run at indoor tracks. I also want to improve my cornering is a 125 the way to go or a 250? I am 5'11 175-180lbs. I am just worried the 125 will be to slow and I will want to get ride of it. I am an average C rider so I am not even close to using all of the power of the 450.

I don't know about some spec sheet you are reading but sitting on both bikes our 125 YZ is taller than my and my sons YZ250w and F. I guess since the spec sheet says it's so I must have legs that shrink when I get on my daughters 125 Only my KTM XC is taller than the YZ125 we have

Are you racing or trail riding? Personally I would say go with the 125.. I know I'll probably get chewed out for this but.. The newer "race" four strokes such as the yz250f, require a lot more maintenance, and when something breaks, your out a lot more money. 125's are nice and easy to work on opposed to a four stroke. And as mentioned above, the 125 will make you a great rider, when your ready to switch over to a four stroke.

Have fun.