B*llocks! Engine Blown - *Cause Found*

:smirk:

DRZ400SM 2007, 13500 miles, BB at 9000, loctite fixes all done, mcct

Just got my bike back on the road yesterday after having my wheels rebuilt, on the way home from work was doing about 25-30mph, no warning noises, heard a loud pop, rear wheel seized and engine cut out. Kept it upright and pulled to the side of the road. Put it in neutral pushed the starter and nothing. Then see oil dripping onto floor - bollocks :smirk:

Got RAC'd home and on closer inspection see this crack in the case front left:

025.JPG

Guessing this is gonna be terminal? I'll start pulling it apart at the weekend and see what I can find, hoping the piston/cylinder will be ok. Suppose it's new/2nd hand engine time....? Possible causes?

Cheers

Jeeves

Edited by jeeves
title

seriously, this isnt the first time i've heard of a drz rear wheel locking up. I think I am about to get rid of this bike.

That's bummed, looks like the rod let go, post pics when apart.

seriously, this isnt the first time i've heard of a drz rear wheel locking up. I think I am about to get rid of this bike.

It happens, as on any bike I guess. Feeling pretty lucky now that I wasn't riding faster or round a corner when it happened....

That's bummed, looks like the rod let go, post pics when apart.

Yeah I'm p*ssed off, was my first day back on the bike after a month of it being off the road. I'm not passing judgement on DRZs but it has been one thing after another with this bike despite me doing as much as I can to maintain it, I've learnt a lot if nothing else! If I get it running with a new motor I will probably sell. I'll be sure to take pics when I get into it....

that looks like the counter balancer bearing is pushed out of the cases. i bet you find the primary nut or counter balancer nut backed off. one of the pins sheared and balancer went out of time.

Thanks, I'll check it out....

Before I check for myself - are the piston/cylinder/head likely to be damaged?

Edited by jeeves
another question

These motors seem hit or miss reliability wise

Really? The reliability of these motors is not 50/50. More often than not, people have flawless engine reliability for tens of thousands of miles before needing work. It may seem like these types of failures are more frequent because almost everyone that has problems like this come here to Thumpertalk for help.

I don't think a couple lemons here and there or neglectful previous owners are a reason to say DRZ's in general are unreliable. There are mountains of data and tried-and-true experience that say otherwise. :smirk::smirk:

what does b*llocks even mean? some english thing i guess.. i cant be the only one who doesnt understand this....lol

what does b*llocks even mean? some english thing i guess.. i cant be the only one who doesnt understand this....lol

Crap, Sh*t, you get the drift.

yea i got that..i just thought maybe it had some cultural significance since it doesnt sound like a bad word..anyway sorry for the engine loss...

It is just a British colloquialism

I wouldn't say that. I got over 40,000 miles on mine before I stroked it :smirk:

Main thing is not to lug these motors as well as change the oil every 1000 miles:thumbsup:

By lug debi you mean low rpm throttle-ons, right? Just making my checklist of things not to do.

B*llocks = Testicles = Balls :smirk: Yes, used like sh*t, crap etc. Unless you describe something as "the dog's b*llocks" or "the dog's" for short, then it means something amazing :lol::lol:

I would put my DRZ in the 'lemon' category, I bought it 2nd hand and I'm really wondering what the po did with it! I've done all the loctite fixes, fitted mcct, changed oil at max every 1000 miles, still had one issue after another :smirk:

One thing, and I don't know if it's relevant to the reliability thing, is that of my daily commute of 60 miles, 40 is at high speed/revs.... I realise that's not what the DRZ is designed for, wonder if that's a contributory factor?

Pretty much resolved to get another engine in and sell the bike on, then get something more suitable for that kind of commute... :prof:

I had 10,000km + on my big bore/stroker, like debi said lugging is really bad, as far as hwy speeds I have done a 3 day trip around 900km, speeds from 80km- 110km, eddie had my motor this winter and said things looked normal.

I also once or twice a week do a commute to work of 20km hwy speeds.

14,000km now and still holding strong,

Sorry to hear about your motor!

Sell your second hand drz and pick up a brand new one, Im thinking you will have better luck.

Good luck.

Edited by bin

Well, Eddie got it right, despite my obviously cack-handed attempt to loctite it, the counter balancer nut came off:

022.JPG

Took the cam cover off and it looks pretty good there, no metal bits as far as I could see. Will wait till I have another engine before going any deeper, otherwise I'll forget where stuff goes back on!!

Have to admit that whilst working on the bike again it made me realise how much time, effort and cash has gone into the bike and how much I've learnt about it. Maybe I will keep it after all :smirk::smirk::prof:

Never doubt Eddie. I'm sure he could do this in his sleep.

When you say lug what rpm range r you talkin 3-4k?

If you make the piston rattle...and/or the bike is bucking...your lugging it. Down shift.