2011 KX450f dies

Ok, so I have searched and I am not too concerned but, that being said I want to ask anyway. I have a brand new (1.5 hr) 2011 kx450f that will die when I pull in the clutch and coast in after riding. It will also die if I try to ride it after it has warmed up for over a minute. This may be normal with EFI..I don't know because all of my previous bikes were carb. I want to say it idles around 1500-1650 rpm (according to hour meter). I am the first owner and have just began to break it in and did the first oil/filter change at 20 minutes. I will check all of the electrical connections when I get a chance and I have just put fresh fuel in (93 octane). It may have been the fuel, they gave me a full tank when I purchased it. Just looking for some re-assurane before my 30 day warranty is up. Thanks

Edited by adamsrk
spelling

I bought a 2011 last week and I had similar problems when I first started it. I would pull in the clutch, coast and try to rev the engine, and it would stall. I went to break it in the following day for an hour and the issue went away. Not sure what it was. Keep us posted as what you find out.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem, just bought the bike sat. went riding a couple 3 hours on sun breaking it in. I turned the idle up and didn't seem to help. It dies when i come to a stop even after its warm. also on a side note this is my first BRAND new bike, its seems to be running really rich and after it dies its hard to start like its flooded, most times i have to pull the choke to get it started, is this something that will go away when its fully broke it? do they tend to run rich when new?

I'm having the same problem, just bought the bike sat. went riding a couple 3 hours on sun breaking it in. I turned the idle up and didn't seem to help. It dies when i come to a stop even after its warm. also on a side note this is my first BRAND new bike, its seems to be running really rich and after it dies its hard to start like its flooded, most times i have to pull the choke to get it started, is this something that will go away when its fully broke it? do they tend to run rich when new?

It's not running rich, it's running lean. If you use the choke when it's warm, it's lean.

Adjust your fuel screw.

Fuel Injected, no fuel screw to my knowledge, will need tuner to do any adjustments, check clutch adjustment and for exhaust leaks at header and intake leak at boots, while idling and not too hot spray carb cleaner around areas and see if idle goes up and do not touch throttle when kicking over.

• 3 weeks later...

Your dealing with a "brand new" piston that has not been broken in yet. Ride some more and finish the break in period. Then change your oils, make sure pivot points are lubed correctly, check your bolts (some may get loose), then you will be well on your way to many days of fun!

I highly doubt it is a breakin problem. I have started hundreds of bikes brand new from the crate and they all idled perfectly including all my Honda MX bikes and my brand new '09 KX450. While modern MX engines use very tight tolerances, they are not designed to so tight that the motor would not idle. These engines are mostly Roller bearing equiped with the exception of the cam bearings and with the super thin single rings on the pistons, parasitic drag is simply very low. If you say it idles cold but not hot, that sounds like a FI issue. The first thing I would check is the airfilter. If it is over oiled, that can cause an idle issue but if that is OK then you may want to go back to the dealer. It could be a TPS sensor out of adjustment although that is very rare. If you find activating the cold start button helps the situation then the first thing I would do is raise the idle. Your bike should idle for hours with no input from you. If it does not there is a problem and you should have it inspected. Make sure that you can tell the techs how to make the problem happen. That is key in getting it fixed

• 1 month later...
Ok, so I have searched and I am not too concerned but, that being said I want to ask anyway. I have a brand new (1.5 hr) 2011 kx450f that will die when I pull in the clutch and coast in after riding. It will also die if I try to ride it after it has warmed up for over a minute. This may be normal with EFI..I don't know because all of my previous bikes were carb. I want to say it idles around 1500-1650 rpm (according to hour meter). I am the first owner and have just began to break it in and did the first oil/filter change at 20 minutes. I will check all of the electrical connections when I get a chance and I have just put fresh fuel in (93 octane). It may have been the fuel, they gave me a full tank when I purchased it. Just looking for some re-assurane before my 30 day warranty is up. Thanks

Where did you get your bike that you have a 30 day warranty on it? Please tell me cause a buddy bought a 2011 as well as me and his oil pump failed F****D the whole top end and they said there wasnt no warranty on the bike and made him pay

What you need to do is Call Kawasaki Customer service. Do not even bother with the dealer. If you have purchased other kawasakis in the past make sure to mention that and tell them this will be the last if they do not help. Only Yamaha's come with a 30 day warranty but I would bet if you know how to handle yourself, they will help. I had the new CRF450 in '09 and when it blew a crank in 12 hours, honda covered it. I did have friends at the dealer and that definitely helped but I spent over an hour on the phone with customer service and finally they relented. I also had an insert spin in a fuel tank on a 2005 CRF450 and got honda to cover it but again it was a battle with honda customer service. Do not rely on the dealer, once they call the warranty center and the claim is turned down they are done. You can also mention that you are going to contact your local news outlet and request a story on it. You would be surprised at what things like that do to customer service types. If the item is new enough you may also be able to pursue/threaten lemon laws but not all states have that and that can get ugly. Just be persistent, patient and FRIENDLY with customer service and do not take no for an answer (without being an A$$)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I just bought a brand new 2013 kx 450f with about the same amount of time on it (1.5 hours) and I'm having the exact same issue. It dies when I pull in the clutch and coast. It also seems to hesitate a bit when I'm riding at slower speeds. On top of all of that I'm getting some random backfiring. Any Ideas????