Sign in to follow this  

Athena 290 set up

Hi, I have decided to bite the bullet and try the 290 upgrade rather new bike route but from comments on this site it seems as if the GET programmer that comes with the kit is not great, especially if you have already done a lot of the most common mods. I have the FMF programmer with full exhaust system but most posts say that it needs to be reset for the big bore kit. My slight problem is that it would take me quiet a while to send my prgrammer from the UK to the US to have it reprogrammed, when i kind of need it NOW. Are there any settings on the standard FMF programmer that make the athena kit worth while or is there no way around having to send it to FMF. I suspect that while its being reprogrammed there isnt much point in riding the bike with stock FI programmer plugged in. IS the stalling problem which comes from too lean a mixture exacerbated at higher altitude, say 2000ft and up ? Thanks for any help. I probably should have read the posts mre thoroughly before buying the kit.

:smirk:

I just installed the 290 kit this past weekend. I have the PC5/Autotune combo, so I can't help you with your FMF programmer.

The jury's still out on whether or not this was a worthwhile upgrade. I'm still in the break-in stages for the new parts and I can't really hammer it at this point. Once the rings are seated I'll be able to get good data for the PC5 & Autotune and start making adjustments.

I just installed the 290 kit this past weekend. I have the PC5/Autotune combo, so I can't help you with your FMF programmer.

Deep down i think we all know how "worthwhile" an investment it really is...

But seriously I didnt want to have to go out and buy a PC V and weld the O2 sensor back into the pipe.

Maybe someone has had a better experience with the Athena CDI. Tthere website claims that you can download some sort software that allows you download different maps but maybe that depends on if you have the GET GPX or the Centraline CDI which is what i had in my kit.

Much obliged

Deep down i think we all know how "worthwhile" an investment it really is...

But seriously I didnt want to have to go out and buy a PC V and weld the O2 sensor back into the pipe.

Maybe someone has had a better experience with the Athena CDI. Tthere website claims that you can download some sort software that allows you download different maps but maybe that depends on if you have the GET GPX or the Centraline CDI which is what i had in my kit.

Much obliged

I didn't use the Athena electronic FI gizmo that came with the kit. Presumably, it makes the correct adjustments to the air/fuel mixture if your bike is otherwise pretty much stock.