Sign in to follow this  

does (tire) size matter?

ha ha -

we recently had a trailer "rebuilt" and the welder told us we needed bigger tires because the stock tires would have to work too hard on the highway. I'll find the original size and the new size but I just dont recall right now and the trailer is at a friends house. Anyhoo - the guy did a half ass job and we are just going to go buy a Load Rite and be done with it.

It would seem to me that a non-homemade, cycle specific, trailer is most likely buit with wheels that are spec'd to be able to handle reasonable highway trips. The welders pitch made sense - "smaller (trailer) wheels have twice as many revolutions" therefore will get that much hotter / work harder than the auto wheels and then run hotter etc, - and die on you".

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/2383930584.html

Long story short - if it came from the factory, and the bearings are good / greased. Can I trust wheel size for a 100-200 mile trip?

thx,

BM

Posting Expired.

My BIL has a Harbor Freight 4x8 with the 12" wheels, and they've dragged that thing all over the upper midwest with no tire or bearing issues (although he does perform regular maintenance and does an inspection pre and post trip on the trailer).

If at all possible, it's better to use a larger tire rather than a smaller one, but a small tire isn't always bad....especially when it comes time to buy new ones (cheaper).

For 2-3 bikes, the weight isn't going to really affect the tire life span.....700-800 lbs of bikes on the trailer is just about right to keep it from getting airborne from the potholes.

as long as you are not overloading or overspeeding the tire and everything else is in good shape I wouldnt worry about it too much

a larger tire may also offer less rolling resistance, increasing fuel mileage , but unfortunately you would have to catalog what you doing now and then buy the different size tires catalog them. Then compare to see if the extra cost of the tires saved you that much in gas

Sounds like he's just trying to get you to spend some more money. I see people on the road all the time using the tiny wheels. Not only when tow trucks tow some cars sometimes but my friend that we load 3 atvs onto the trailer has the tiny wheels that are only like 12-14 inchs tall.

I could see if you are hauling really heavy loads or something but otherwise, keeps your stuff maintenanced and dont worry about it.

Well if you think about it, a smaller tire has to do more rotations than a larger tire to go the same distance. Smaller tires will be harder on bearings and the tire itself because they heat up quicker but they are also cheaper than bigger tires...And it the bigger tire is only taller, not wider, it will not affect rolling resistance. It's really up to you but the smaller tires should be fine.

Well if you think about it, a smaller tire has to do more rotations than a larger tire to go the same distance. Smaller tires will be harder on bearings and the tire itself because they heat up quicker but they are also cheaper than bigger tires...And it the bigger tire is only taller, not wider, it will not affect rolling resistance. It's really up to you but the smaller tires should be fine.

This.