Sign in to follow this  

weep hole leak TIME SENSITIVE!!! hahaha

So I installed the Boyeson water pump cover and impeller on my '08 CRF450R. I put it back together, started it up (first kick, mind ya) and woopity-doooo coolant all over the floor.

So this means my water seal is gone right? I just wanted to get some advice because where I live I am only going to get one shot at ordering parts before riding day. I am thinking: 1. Water pump seal. 2. Oil seal. 3. Water pump bearing. 4. Water pump cover o-ring (just for good measure). 5. New gasket for case. 6. New crush washer for drain bolt.

Can some one check me on this? I am still very cherry when it comes to working on my bike-everything is still the first time. Also, I have the service manual, how bad is it to get those seals and bearing in if I don't have the "honda" seal/bearing drivers?

P.S. I am 99% sure this was leaking before I put the new stuff in. I was losing coolant and it wasn't boiling over (I have an overflow bottle). Also I changed the oils and no coolant there.

THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS,

Dan

It might be. But I never took it out, just replaced the cover and impeller. I did recently buy this bike used though...

Cool, thanks. I figure it is that seal. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something else. My shop orders tomorow morning and after that I have to wait another week.

Wait, can I install that seal without taking the side of the case off?

Cool, thanks. I figure it is that seal. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something else. My shop orders tomorow morning and after that I have to wait another week.

Order over the Internet.

Wait, can I install that seal without taking the side of the case off?

yes.. very easy fix, just the $5 seal will 95% chance fix the leak. you MAY need a wp shaft and bearing, but the seal will likely get you going for now and many hours of riding. if/when it ever leaks again, then you would need to remvoed the entire clutch cover off to remove the shaft and bearing.

MANY threads on this topic, some will tell you it is required to do it all at once, sure that is better but jsut the seal will likely get you fixed up. BE SURE the open side of the seal is facint you, not the flat side of the seal.

Cool thanks again Melk,

I saw the threads I just must have missed the part about doing it with the cover on.

I suck at the internet.