Sign in to follow this  

Baja 500 summit

Everyone is getting pretty worked up on RDC about the new summit section. Just wondering what the bike guys who have prerun this section thought about it?

Heard some bike guys were walking their bikes down the steep hill. Any idea if these were experienced riders?

Nothing bikes can't handle. Worse than the climb is going down the rocky summit. Bike guys will need to be on thier A game! or you will be hiking out. Lay the bike down and your gonna loose a radiator for sure!!

No they were tourists

You never know. I've seen plenty of those out there "prerunning".

Nothing bikes can't handle. Worse than the climb is going down the rocky summit. Bike guys will need to be on thier A game! or you will be hiking out. Lay the bike down and your gonna loose a radiator for sure!!

The old summit down hill (i.e. last years course) or the down hill in the new section? Nice thing about riding a couch is the rocks on the summit don't really matter.

The old summit down hill (i.e. last years course) or the down hill in the new section? Nice thing about riding a couch is the rocks on the summit don't really matter.

The new stuff. You are right about the couch and the summit, theres a handfull of guys that could out ride you over the summit the rest better be looking over thier shoulders cause the quads are gonna smoke through there!

The summit is the best part of the entire course. If anyone is seen walking their bike down that hill, they should be immediately ridiculed and disqualified.

2 of our guys went through the new section on Saturday. They said was "it is do able on a bike as of Saturday but it is gnarly" They have no idea how the big horse power trucks are going to make it through this section let alone the limited classes. They also helped a few guys out there that were in trouble and way in over there head. If you are taking a "Pre Run" partner with you make sure they are a capable rider.

The new stuff. You are right about the couch and the summit, theres a handfull of guys that could out ride you over the summit the rest better be looking over thier shoulders cause the quads are gonna smoke through there!

I hate that feeling, knowing here comes Caster on his Couch with nothing to fear, as I'm tip-toeing down that Bee-otch known as my fair lady Suzy the Summit... :smirk:

Sounds like the place to be with a camera :smirk:

Thats for sure. I hope a photog camps out there or gets air dropped in there for the first bikes. That would be EPPP!

From the SCORE website "A new road was recently constructed from the Santa Catarina Indian Village to reach the Summit. SCORE is fully aware of the extremely difficult uphill and downhill that exists at Race Mile 110. Heavy equipment arrived at this location on Wednesday, May 25 and will begin repairing this area."

Everyone is getting pretty worked up on RDC about the new summit section. Just wondering what the bike guys who have prerun this section thought about it?

Heard some bike guys were walking their bikes down the steep hill. Any idea if these were experienced riders?

if any bike guys have an issue, they should just hand their purse to the checkpoint official!!

LAME!!

I know a chick who rode the summit with no clutch cable!:smirk:

if any bike guys have an issue, they should just hand their purse to the checkpoint official!!

Heard she has some pretty cool bike graphics as well.....:smirk:

LAME!!

... of course, there's always some who are over their head just beyond the green flag. So, we know there'll be some huge problems for the un-experienced. I just hope they know what they are in for (and pre-run!). God help the guys who won't pre-run their section, let alone the summit.

I agree, that anyone complaining about the trek should "tuck their string". But, you know there's going to be some who don't know... what they don't know (from not pre-running or doing any online forum type research). They'll get there, and wonder what they've gotten themselves into.

I hope the best for all!!

... of course, there's always some who are over their head just beyond the green flag. So, we know there'll be some huge problems for the un-experienced. I just hope they know what they are in for (and pre-run!). God help the guys who won't pre-run their section, let alone the summit.

I just hope they stay out of the way! It's amazing how many riders will fall and just leave their bike sitting in the middle of the course. Pull it to the side! Less chance of it being used as traction that way.

Thats for sure. I hope a photog camps out there or gets air dropped in there for the first bikes. That would be EPPP!

I don't have a chopper for the air drop Scotty, but I'll be working Pit 2 with the MAG 7 crew and arriving Friday afternoon to set up.

RM110

I'm no photog but I'll see what I can do. :smirk:

I move over to PIT 9 later in the day Sat but will be front row for all the bikes coming through early Sat am...

Anybody have pics of the SUMMIT? Is it Boulder garden or what? Please share.......:smirk:

Hell, I never wanted to stop. Momentum is your friend going up and down the Summit. I did find some decent video on YouTube.