What bikes are good for Street Legal SM??

Supermoto is totally new to me. I have always ridden dirt bikes and I would like to get a dirt bike to ride on the street. I currently ride/race a kx450f.

My question is pretty general, what bike makes + models are the easiest/best to make into a street legal motard. I will not be racing the bike competitively I just want a dirt bike to ride in the streets. I live in Pennsylvania, I believe its kind of a PITA to get dirt bike street legal so I guess its easier to start with something like a drz?

The bike I am leaning towards is the DRZ400SM.. I like the fact that it is street legal and easy to be plated, and I would imagine that the motor should have a good longevity.... but I dont prefer suzukis, and more importantly i am concerned about the power of the 400. I currently ride a 450 and wouldnt mind having even mroe power with that bike.

What are the other bikes? I dont think the 650s are for me? I dont like the forks, or the characteristics of the motor, or the massive size.. I also know of the aprilas but they are pretty much race bikes I want something reliable to ride on the streets, i already have a 450 to maintain.

I would love to do a klx450r but i think its gonna be a hassle to get plated in PA and i would need thousands to convert it to SM.

NICE BIKE!! U know what i got a guy here that builds choppers, I am sure he knows exactly what it would take to get one of these things plated. I did a search on here and it someone said they had a klx plated in PA and it cost em about $600. Seeing your bike is making me think its totally worth it.. that thing looks awesome.

My kx450f has been super reliable, 175 hours of offroad racing I have finally just shimmed the valves for the first time and did a new top-end. Correct me if I am wrong but doesnt the KLX have Stainless Steel valves? I would assume that it would hold up a little longer than the kxs do, and I love my kx its been great.

Edited by stlavsa

Here is my 09 KLX 450..... If you look out of state and find a bike already street legal. You should be able to tag in PA. I did that with this bike. Bought in Va already street legal and title passed through NC just fine.

BrentsBirthday416.jpg

BrentsBirthday415.jpg

If you are going to convert a dirt bike, it is best to start with a bike that has lighting (headlight/tail light) like the CRF 450X, KLX 450R, RMX 450, etc........ If you are looking for a reliable (low maintenance) street legal bike, look at the DRZ. The Husky's and Aprilia's are wicked butthe maintenance is very strict (300-500 mile oil changes on my 510 SMR)

Here is my 09 KLX 450..... If you look out of state and find a bike already street legal. You should be able to tag in PA. I did that with this bike. Bought in Va already street legal and title passed through NC just fine.

Ahhh yess I was wondering about this idea, get one thats already plated in a state thats easier to plate them.. There is one for sale on ebay right now, its out of state and already plated, but will need the moto wheels tires..

Im gonna go check on it now. I have also read of people registering them out of state, because some states (like maine) dont require residency to register a bike so u can get it done that way. Sounds like the easier route might be to find a klx out of state, my second choice would be a WR but lookin at these KLXs got me wanting another green.

get a xr650r

you can go around the world with that bike :smirk:

get a xr650r

+1 the 650r will probably be my next sumo, but for now my drz had been excellent.

If you do go the drz route look to see if you can get a drz E plated, you'll be ahead of the game with the stock carb, cans and compression ratio they come with. Add the correct exhaust and a cheap big bore kit and you have a dead reliable near 50 rwhp bike.

get a xr650r

not only can it go around the world with out a hitch its got power to be found with the right motorwork

+1 the 650r will probably be my next sumo, but for now my drz had been excellent.

If you do go the drz route look to see if you can get a drz E plated, you'll be ahead of the game with the stock carb, cans and compression ratio they come with. Add the correct exhaust and a cheap big bore kit and you have a dead reliable near 50 rwhp bike.

i agree with this statement in everyway:ride:

i would be more interested in the drz.. I dont want the big tank 650 and i def want upside down forks..

Do they still make the drz e now? I would be most likely considering a new bike, unless here is a certain year i should be looking for with more power, my biggest concern with the drz 400 is power so i would love starting out with the most powerful one i can get.

i would be more interested in the drz.. I dont want the big tank 650 and i def want upside down forks..

Do they still make the drz e now? I would be most likely considering a new bike, unless here is a certain year i should be looking for with more power, my biggest concern with the drz 400 is power so i would love starting out with the most powerful one i can get.

are you looking at the USD forks for looks? conventional forks are just as good when reworked the right way.

the 650 is a tank but is just as nimble as any other bike out there. the E i believe is only being made down under. you can find a decent used real E on the market with the slant FCR 39 carb and better cams and thinner base gasket. and if you get lucky you might be able to find one with a happy button and a backup kicker.

ohh ok thanks for the info on the "e". I guess I could always just buy the drz s and just put the carb cams and a thinner gasket on.. I guess the piston is the same comp just has a thinner gasket? That seems like it would be pretty cheap to do.

I do just want the USD for looks I want the bike to look like a motocross bike on the street, not an enduro bike on the road.. if that makes sense. I really like the looks of the KLX but unless i find one already plated the drz is just an easier, more viable option.

FCR39 $500-600 new

cams $300

base gasket$50-60 for the kit maybe (est.) not worth time or money unless you dont mind the work.. most will do this when installing bigbore.

keep in mind non is really worth it unless you invest in the right pipe.. MRD/SSW or Ti yoshimura $500-800

i get ya on the forks. The S is easy cause it comes plated. you can find plated E's but if not im sure you can get it plated without to much trouble

ya thats more $ than i thought. I see the carb used on ebay for $300.00 i have no problems with buying a used one, but its still kinda steep. What about other cams like hot cams, etc. Those any good? Probably easier to find a set of those.

Ur right the base gasket isnt worth the time and effort until you were rebuilding or doing the big bore.. whats that a 440 kit? I would consider doing that right off the bat if i could find a nice used bike in need of a rebuild.

believe it or not theres a guy selling a drze parts bike on my local craigslist.. Could get the entire bike for less than the price of the carb.

ya thats more $ than i thought. I see the carb used on ebay for $300.00 i have no problems with buying a used one, but its still kinda steep. What about other cams like hot cams, etc. Those any good? Probably easier to find a set of those.

Ur right the base gasket isnt worth the time and effort until you were rebuilding or doing the big bore.. whats that a 440 kit? I would consider doing that right off the bat if i could find a nice used bike in need of a rebuild.

buying used is great if you get what your paying for.. unless the carb came off of a drz. some of the FCR's us different sized intake boots.

stage 2 hotcams are a great choice and you can regularly find good deals new or used on ebay.

bigbore kits range in price. the best one i have seen is the C/W kit on ebay for a hair under $400. i believe its a 434 not a 440. athena makes the 440 kit.

Get the sm version of the DRZ,cheaper in the long run. The suspension and brakes are much better than e or s model. Alot if used DRZ sm's have FCR and pipe upgrades. A properly modded DRZ is cheaper to buy than build.... Watch for bikes with pipe and carb mods for sale.

I sold my 2006 model sm with MRD pipe and suspension done by www.fastbikeindustries.com for $3300. It had 17000 miles and had Alot more life let in it.

You know, you could just look for a Husky 450sm and save yourself all that headache :lol:

It comes stock from the factory with all the power that you’re trying to achieve by making the drz into an E and it’s absolutely 100% street legal everywhere

That’s everything you want with zero work to get there :lol:

:ride:

DRZ 400SM. Street legal and ready to go right out of the box. Easy to get 50+ realiable hp. Its a rock solid and proven platform. Spend a little time on the DRZ 400 forum and you'll see why they have such a huge following. Easy to mantain and cheap too.

016-2.jpg

You know, you could just look for a Husky 450sm and save yourself all that headache :lol:

It comes stock from the factory with all the power that you’re trying to achieve by making the drz into an E and it’s absolutely 100% street legal everywhere

That’s everything you want with zero work to get there :lol:

:ride:

Rode one,wasn't super impressed with power. Not much bottom end for a 450. The DRZ has more grunt down low. My biggest issue with Huskys: parts availability!

ahh ya I meant to say SM not S... That would be the only model i am interested in. The one thing I must say i HATE about the DRZ is that head light... I would have to switch it to something like the KLXR, It just looks so much better.