Sign in to follow this  

Dealing with muscle pain after rides?

I rode the longest and hardest i've ever rode last weekend pounding after pounding of constant sand whoops and turns and man I'm feeling it now. I only ride every 2 weeks it seems. And I'm tryin to ride at least once a week and start exercising more. My back, legs and arms are very sore. How do you guys deal with post ride soreness or help prevent it? Oh and I'm not old I'm only 18 just getting used to the rough rigorous sport of mx:thumbsup:

I always take it easy for a couple days to let my muscles repair themself. This way you don't damage it even further. Eating healthy always helps as well.

Stretch next time before a ride!

I rode the longest and hardest i've ever rode last weekend pounding after pounding of constant sand whoops and turns and man I'm feeling it now. I only ride every 2 weeks it seems. And I'm tryin to ride at least once a week and start exercising more. My back, legs and arms are very sore. How do you guys deal with post ride soreness or help prevent it? Oh and I'm not old I'm only 18 just getting used to the rough rigorous sport of mx:thumbsup:

Is your suspension dialed? My bike has the stock suspension and I weigh way more than the suspension's set up to handle (haven't had the money to re-spring/re-valve it yet), so whenever I ride it hard I always end up sore. A friend of mine let me race his CRF450R which is almost identical to mine except for suspension that's set up perfectly for my weight, and I didn't experience any soreness at all afterwards.

When I am sore, I always take Advil after I get done riding. It doesn't always get rid of the soreness completely, but it does dull it a bit the next day.

I go to the gym at least four days a week for lifting and running, so I consider myself in shape.

After a hard ride, I do a moderate recovery workout the following day. An ice bath right after would be nice, but it's not really feasible. The worst part is going to work on Monday and sitting at a desk-that's when pain really sets in. It takes a while to get going, but I usually feel pretty good after a light workout.

I'm 32 BTW.

The best way to avoid the soreness is to get yourself in shape. Regular exercise and a good diet does wonders. Also, hydrate yourself good before, during, and after your ride. Hydration does make a difference.

After a long day of grueling riding I always take it easy on the muscles the following day. Don't get lazy and go more than one day not exercising and/or riding. Even a light work out will be better than none. Like already mentioned, protein rich foods are good for healing/building the muscles for the first day or two (ie; higher intake than normal - not excessive).

Now, this is all IMO/IME and YMMV. I'm 41 and still plugging along trying to get in even better shape!

Stretch before and go for an easy warm up ride. Don't unload your bike then go straight for the whoops and doubles. Go for a easy ride that is hard enough so it will work the muscles but not too hard to cause damage. An ounce of prevention. If it's too late and you're already sore just more stretching and some ibuprofen.

what about a recovery drink? I drink half midway through a ride day and the rest after my ride. I also drink them on hard resistance weight training days.

Some say that chocolate milk within 30 minutes of a workout helps as well. I think I am gonna try the chocolate milk tonight after track practice.

Stretching works wonders. If you just jump on the bike right after you get there and throw all of your gear on, you are going to feel it the next day.

• Like 1

Stretch before and after. Get some protein within half an hour after your done riding. Rehydrate adequately to a help with lactic acid build up (what makes you sore). Just like any activity the more you do it the faster your body will start to recover.

Pre ride drinks and after ride recovery drinks actually work well.

Talk to the guys at the bicycle shop to get going with the right stuff.

Eat a banana about a half hour before and a couple nibbles (not the whole thing at once)on a Clif bar every 15-30 minutes along with Gatorade or water. Finish up with a small carton of Chocolate milk when your done. Load up your stuff and go have a meal.

Riding more often definitely helps, but it's not an option for some.

I feel if I ride at least 10-30 minutes a day, everyday, I have less muscle pain, and less fatigue when I go on all day rides, as my body is used to it.

Same goes for 'monkey butt' and blisters on my hands. When I ride daily, it isn't a issue. If I quit riding for say, 2-3 weeks, just riding a hour and my hands and butt are killing me!

• Like 1