What bike should I buy?

Long time lurker, first time poster.

About me:

5'8, 190#, 36 years old

It has been about 10 years since I have rode in the dirt. Which was just around farms and trails.

I am looking to get a bike to ride mx in a club type of setting. Starting out just track riding and maybe racing down the road.

I need some direction as to what to be looking for. I am ok with getting something to learn on, knowing that I will be upsizing in a year or so. I just don't want to get something that everybody besides me knows is way too small or way too big.

Thanks, and if I left something out, please ask.

edit to add: I am leaning towards Yamaha as I have family friends who own a dealership. There is also a KTM shop not too far away from me, but I have no ties to them.

John

Edited by Fishinjdb
Left something out
Long time lurker, first time poster.

edit to add: I am leaning towards Yamaha as I have family friends who own a dealership. There is also a KTM shop not too far away from me, but I have no ties to them.

John

WELL.... sound to me as you got your anwser with the family.... YZ250 or a YZ250F.... the 450 is going to be a lot to hold on to at first....

The yz250f would be an easy bike to learn and ride on, and would be great for competing later.

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago. I started riding MX at age 11 and started racing at age 13. I raced until age 18 and was on a team made expert on the 125 and 250 class. After stopping, I never got back on a bike until age 40. I started on a RMZ 250, but after a few months sold it and got a RMZ 450 which I love. I was rusty in the begining, but it didn't take long to get back in the groove. The 250 is a nice bike but I'm 6'0 205 lbs. and I felt the 450 was a better fit. The 450's last longer also because most won't over rev them like the 250. I would also consider the 250 2st. The maint. on them is cheaper then the 4 stroke. Good luck