Sign in to follow this  

what oil to use DR 250

What oil are you using for a suzuki dr 250?

Any pro's /con's on mobil 1 synthetic?

Thanks

"What oil are you using for a suzuki dr 250?

Any pro's /con's on mobil 1 synthetic?

Thanks"

I would use Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle racing oil, 10/40.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic 10W 40 in all my DR's including my DR250 but any 4 cycle motorcycle oil should be fine.

Just be sure not to use automobile oil as the newer oils have friction modifiers in the formula which is not good for the wet clutch system that the DR's have.

If your new to the DR250 or any dry sump oiling system be sure to use the proper method to check your oil or you may have serious problems.

Welcome to TT :smirk:

Thanks for the advice I changed the oil recently with valvoline 10w40 and the clutch slips until the oil warms up.I will be changing it again with Mobil1.

Is there a Mobil 1 motor cycle oil or are you using the automobile oil?

Any name brand 15W-40 Diesel oil will do - saves your money and gives decent protection.

Tom

Just be sure not to use automobile oil as the newer oils have friction modifiers in the formula which is not good for the wet clutch system that the DR's have.

Bob, any idea how long it may take for a problem to develop? I've been using standard 10w 40 automobile oil since I got my DR350 four years ago. :smirk:

Bob, any idea how long it may take for a problem to develop? I've been using standard 10w 40 automobile oil since I got my DR350 four years ago. :smirk:

Yeah, usually right away. Are you sure the oil you used has friction modifiers in it?

I was using Mobil 1 automotive oil before I changed it recently with standard valvoline 10 w 40 and that is when the clutch started slipping. Where do you get the mobil 1 motorcycle oil?

Where do you get the mobil 1 motorcycle oil?

Most any auto parts store.

Mobil 1 4T Motorcycle Oil, 10W-40

I know that Advanced Auto carries it.

What would be good way to flush out the old oil ?
Drain the old oil, add the new oil and Just ride it for 50 miles or so and change the oil to again while it's still a bit warm.

Dont forget to remove the frame screen/filter and make sure it's clean.

Where is the frame filter screen?
In the low end of the front down tube behind the top edge of the skid plate.

You'll see a large hose just below the drain plug in the frame.

Remove the big hose and you'll see the screen.

I took the clutch out and replaced the thrust washers and changed the springs with EBC stronger springs .I did not put the clutch discs/plates back in the same order as they were .I changed the oil with mobil 1 4T. Now the clutch grabs and chatters and pulls randomly.The basket and pressure plate showed some minor wear and slight notches. Any ideas?

Thanks

Most any auto parts store.

Mobil 1 4T Motorcycle Oil, 10W-40

I know that Advanced Auto carries it.

I guess they carry different stuff in different stores. Here the Advanced only has Valvoline wet clutch compatible oil. I've never liked Valvoline and its $5.25/qt !!