Sign in to follow this  

04 250SX Clutch question

Ok so I picked up this 04 250sx super clean and great deal, I am a 40 yr old in the middle of a mid life crisis, I have not ridden for 10 yrs my last ride was a YZF 426.i bought my kid a KX85 so we can ride together! I am totally new to these hydralic clutches. I just bought the bike and wanted to go thru it, compression was 182 cold, transmisson oil was low, changed it (650 cc I do not have a manual so if this is wrong pls let me know)

checked hydralic clutch fluid, master cylinder was empty, ordered some Magura blood and re-filled, seems to be ok however when I pull the clutch ( bike on stand off) I can almost hear what I think is a squish almost like fluid coming out/ air I searched pretty good and could not find any evidence of fluid escaping, so i assume it must be sucking air, not having a hydralic clutch before I can not tell by feel if it is working properly or not, can someone pls explain what I should be looking for, also where could the fluid be going? I assume the previous owner did not check the fluid but where can it go? Should the master cylinder be full? Like I said no manual! By the way where can I purchase a KTM manual for an 04 250sx?

I would appreciate any help I can get! Thanks

If it was empty the master cylinder might need a rebuild. Check for leakage. When fluids are not changed the coating in the mastercylinder wears out and the mastercylinder needs to be replaced. It can not be honed.

Where would/should I look for a leak? I have checked the motor over really well and I do not see any oil/fluid on it at all and the motor is super clean????The master cylinder was not completely empty but pretty darned close, when I engage the clutch lever (on stand motor not running)I can here a squish noise, the odd thing is the noise is coming from the clutch side near the front of the motor not on the side where the cable/hose goes into the case.???? Sorry I am so long winded but I am new to these clutch set ups, I know getting a manual will help. By the way how can I tell if the clutch is not working properly? Like I said I am not sure how a hygralic clutch is suposed to feel, to me it feels a little spongy but seems to work as it should, although on the stand motor running when I shift into 1st gear the tire will turn with clutch pulled in, it will not do it when bike is on the ground and under load. Any input appreciated Thanks

Where would/should I look for a leak? I have checked the motor over really well and I do not see any oil/fluid on it at all and the motor is super clean????The master cylinder was not completely empty but pretty darned close, when I engage the clutch lever (on stand motor not running)I can here a squish noise, the odd thing is the noise is coming from the clutch side near the front of the motor not on the side where the cable/hose goes into the case.???? Sorry I am so long winded but I am new to these clutch set ups, I know getting a manual will help. By the way how can I tell if the clutch is not working properly? Like I said I am not sure how a hygralic clutch is suposed to feel, to me it feels a little spongy but seems to work as it should, although on the stand motor running when I shift into 1st gear the tire will turn with clutch pulled in, it will not do it when bike is on the ground and under load. Any input appreciated Thanks

before chasing your tail trying to find a "possible" leak, why not fill it and ride it. You said it is engaging, so give it a few rides and keep an eye on it.

Depending on the type of tranny fluid you are running, the clutch can be a little grabby and allow the wheel to turn on the stand, also a worn basket can do the same. If the bike has low hours, then I doubt the clutch is worn. You can try a cycle of ATF in the tranny for a bit to see if the clutch disengages better.

You should be able to download an owner's manual on KTM's website. You will have to buy a shop manual. 650cc's is low. I believe it is closer to 700-800 range for the 250.