Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha TT500 ???

I have been looking around for a yamaha XT500 but have not had a whole lot of luck. But the other day this '77 TT500 popped up in the local classifieds and I have a few questions. First, how much do you think it would be worth? I realize that it may be worth more or less to some people than it would be to others but I would still like your opinions. Second, what are the major differences between the XT500 and the TT500 (other than the fact that one came street legal and the other didn't) if any? The guy says that this TT is street legal and is currently registered (It looks like he put some mini turn signals on it). And it looks like it is in really good shape. Any thoughts? Is this a good year for these bikes?

tt500forsale.jpg

Edited by teledan

I took a ride on one of those TT's back in the day. All I remember is riding a wheelie from idle, until I jumped off and ran along the bike, grabbing the front brake to stop it. Awesome looking bike.....What's the seller asking???????

He is asking 1700 for it. It seems like a decent price but I would like to get some opinions. I am tempted to see if he is willing to trade me for my Land Rover, but then I would be out of a car :smirk:

looks good, mostly original/ stock.

the main differences besides lights:

seat shaped different.

carburetor is 34mm vs 32mm, simpler, easier to dial-in & works better IMO.

muffler does not have the small expansion chamber, so is slightly louder.

the rear hub is non-cush & rougher on drive-train mainly on-road.

my xt500 is running the TT carb & muffler.

works great

@plugeye: Is the seat different on the '77? I had assumed that difference didn't appear until the TT went to a leading axle fork and the triple clamps had less offset, so they moved the tank back a little and shortened the TT seat. I could be wrong. Not terribly important anyway.

$1700 looks like a reasonable price for that bike. It appears to be in pretty good condition and mostly original. If you are gonna ride it on the road most the time, you might want to consider a cush drive rear wheel. You can get a XT wheel and spacers off ebay for reasonable money.

Another question. I am looking at another TT500 that is currently not street legal. What would it take to get this thing street legal? (besides the obvious lights, horn, etc.) I am mainly wondering about the titling/registering details. How does this work? Would a bike like this come with a title and I would just have to throw some lights on it and get it inspected? Or would I have to get a new title? Any help would be much appreciated!

Edited by teledan

@plugeye: Is the seat different on the '77? I had assumed that difference didn't appear until the TT went to a leading axle fork and the triple clamps had less offset, so they moved the tank back a little and shortened the TT seat. I could be wrong. Not terribly important anyway.

$1700 looks like a reasonable price for that bike. It appears to be in pretty good condition and mostly original. If you are gonna ride it on the road most the time, you might want to consider a cush drive rear wheel. You can get a XT wheel and spacers off ebay for reasonable money.

the seat pans are all alike afaik

the differences is the shape of the foam between XT & TT

I don't know about the TTs, but the seat is indeed different between the straight-leg and leading-axle fork XTs. I found that out trying to mount a later seat to my '77.

Well, I picked up an 81 XT500 yesterday, I love it! It only has about 4,000 miles on it and it runs great. It needs a battery and a front tire (the one that is on there is the original!) but other than that it is in really great shape. I'm stoked!

MyXT500.jpg

Thanks for the info everybody!

I got it for $700, I think I got a pretty good deal on it. The previous owner said that it used to be a forest service bike. Not sure if that is a good thing or not but it has low miles and runs great. I was sort of worried because I had heard these bikes were hard to start but it starts up first kick cold. I don't even use the comp release and I weigh about a buck fifty.

Well I think your thumper is a nice looking machine. I hope you enjoy riding it.

My little brother had a little bit later model, the XT550 with the double carb. That thing hit hard as hell when the secondary carb kicked in. It would hang with my RZ350 for the first three gears. It was a very reliable and strong bike considering all the abuse he put it through.