Selling my 2010 RM-Z, want opinions...

With gas prices and this fantastic economy, I can no longer afford to have 2 bikes and enjoy riding my 125 way more then a 250F. I have been considering this for awhile now, and decided it was probably best to sell it. Thing is, I have no idea what to ask or what would be reasonable. I know I am going to take a massive loss on the bike since I have over 9k into it total, but oh well.

I guess if any of you were looking for a bike, what would you be willing to pay?

IMAG0232.jpg

IMAG0231.jpg

IMAG0267.jpg

I understand where you are coming from. I am putting a deposit on a 2012 KTM 150SX and going back to where it all started. I hope this brings the fun factor back and if it doesn't then it is time to hang up the leathers. Also the gas prices are stupid! It's not about if I can afford it but it's the principle of it.

I will give 5500

Thanks for the input..anyone else have a price in mind?

I understand where you are coming from. I am putting a deposit on a 2012 KTM 150SX and going back to where it all started. I hope this brings the fun factor back and if it doesn't then it is time to hang up the leathers. Also the gas prices are stupid! It's not about if I can afford it but it's the principle of it.

Yeah, if money were not an object, I think I would be on all brand new KTM 2 strokes, but it is. If I get this RM-Z sold, the plan is to find a spare cylinder and powervalves for my YZ and making that into a 144 race bike.

That's kind of sad your selling it. Is there any other reason you might be selling? Maybe to go buy a Honda because of "false neutral?" ?

I do know what you and others are talking about, 2 strokes are insanely fun!

I rode one for my first time in a long time a month ago and I loved it!

Greetings Oregonian. $4,500 is embarassing.

Yeah it's a total bummer after forking out a bit more for it not to long ago. But that's the actual retail value not to mention your a private party seller and you

Don't have overhead like advertising and the general cost of a dealership. So with that being said $4,500 is More then I see anyone paying for it realistically unless you offer financing

That things looks like it hasnt even touched dirt! Too bad you couldnt get that up to Canada considering the dollar is so good. Youd sell that thing for 5500-6000 up here. Is that thing highway ridden, seriously?

That's kind of sad your selling it. Is there any other reason you might be selling? Maybe to go buy a Honda because of "false neutral?" ?

I do know what you and others are talking about, 2 strokes are insanely fun!

I rode one for my first time in a long time a month ago and I loved it!

Well, to help answer the question, I am 21 year old supporting myself and when I bought the bike a year ago, circumstances were slightly different. I hardly ride anymore just because I cannot afford the absurd race fees, nor the amount of gas it costs me to get to the tracks. When Jody of MXA talks about how 4 strokes have helped ruin MX, I don't blame him. I have more fun on my $2,000 125 over my $7,200 EFI bike. And I am not necessarily worried about the transmission on this bike, it is an easy fix; but I would be lying if I said the thought of blowing up a 4 stroke has never haunted me. If I blew up my RM-Z, its game over...If I blew up the 125 I could most likely have it back up running in a week or two.

Will say that hands down, the RM-Z is the best 4 stroke bike I have owned.

Not sure on the value of your RMZ but I agree 100% with race costs. Luckily, I got into a local private club which understands this and keeps event fees at a great price.

When I raced before I got into the private track, there were gate fees, parking fees, entry fees, membership fees, gas fees, not counting if you broke anything. It's rediculous.

I love my rmz but I still get the 2stroke bug, I remember them being such a blast to ride. The 4strokes are great machines but $7,000+ for a new dirt bike for modern fuel injection!!?? ? Plus for me suspension is almost a MUST since I'm so light (135 lbs), so there is another $500 atleast. I'm not buying into that. Which is why I completely rebuilt my 08.

At the local private track, the fastest kid there, who also just got his Pro license, has always riden basically STOCK 125's and 250's. I'm impressed with his abilities and proves you don't need "state of the art" to go big.

Way I see it, guys were FAST in the 80's-2000's on 2strokes.... why can't we be fast now on 2strokes? Different era, but I don't think the human race became a "4stroke only breed".

Good luck!

Great post and thanks!

Guys can still be fast on 2 strokes. I honestly think the magazines and manufactures have brain washed people. Of course a bike with twice the displacement will be faster and easier to ride...I have always been the type who ride aggressively and like to lay it out there which is why the smaller bore bikes tend to work better for me.

I have done a lot of back to back riding with the "old technology 2 stroke" versus my cutting edge new tech. EFI 4 stroke. I will say, the lightweight and lack of engine breaking on the 2 strokes is second to none, but at most tracks you just cannot deny the power (more like torque) disadvantage. Mitch Payton even stated that 4 strokes have made the costs of building race bikes rise 4 times over when they were racing 2 strokes. For a factory team, that is fine, but I cannot bear to hear that. My theory is, I don't care if I am at a disadvantage when I pull up to the line, I will always have more fun working harder and an ever greater reward when I do well in a race on a 125.

Both bikes are great, and I do hate the debates, but the number one thing so many people forget about is how much it takes to truly upkeep a bike when racing at B class level.

Who knows, if the market sucks and I cannot get much for the RM-Z, I might just try to keep it, but for now I plan on rocking the 2 stroke.

• 3 weeks later...
Great post and thanks!

Guys can still be fast on 2 strokes. I honestly think the magazines and manufactures have brain washed people. Of course a bike with twice the displacement will be faster and easier to ride...I have always been the type who ride aggressively and like to lay it out there which is why the smaller bore bikes tend to work better for me.

I have done a lot of back to back riding with the "old technology 2 stroke" versus my cutting edge new tech. EFI 4 stroke. I will say, the lightweight and lack of engine breaking on the 2 strokes is second to none, but at most tracks you just cannot deny the power (more like torque) disadvantage. Mitch Payton even stated that 4 strokes have made the costs of building race bikes rise 4 times over when they were racing 2 strokes. For a factory team, that is fine, but I cannot bear to hear that. My theory is, I don't care if I am at a disadvantage when I pull up to the line, I will always have more fun working harder and an ever greater reward when I do well in a race on a 125.

Both bikes are great, and I do hate the debates, but the number one thing so many people forget about is how much it takes to truly upkeep a bike when racing at B class level.

Who knows, if the market sucks and I cannot get much for the RM-Z, I might just try to keep it, but for now I plan on rocking the 2 stroke.

Check this out, Evinrude cost vs a 4 stroke motor the cost are 3 times greater. The Evinrude is DIRECT INJECTION, it smokes the 4 stroke and has LESS emissions...

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Tools/Maintenance-Calculator

It is not old technology, it is the fact you can get MORE horsepower/torque from a 2 stroke in less weight/parts and reliability. It is tried and true, just like Ford putting a turbo charged V6 in a full size truck, that motor is going to gernade and when it does no one will fix it (expense is more than the truck is worth).

The parts are not there, they do not have to be replaced: advantage 2 stroke.

You can take a old Chevy build a 350 and it will run and run, you can take new motors and they will last for so long and be thrown away. If something works then why change it?

The sport of motocross is not going to survive at this rate, it is simply out of reach or out of touch with reality.

NADA for Grand Rapids Michigan is 4,200 to 5,500

Kelly Blue Book has it at 4,500

With it clean and in excellent condition 5,500 is about the best that you can do. Maybe push it up to 5,900 and see if you can find someone that really likes it ... but really, any offer over 5,000 is about as good as it's going to get.

There's my 2 cents.