2003 cr85 help

Hello everyone, i bought a cr85r last year just to mess around with from a local dirt bike shop. They never said anything about new top ends or anything. and i was just wondering how long a top end lasts in a 2003 cr85r. And i noticed it hitting power band a little slower and bogging a little bit more.

Top ends on the CR85s last a different amount of time on different bikes with different riders. My son has a 2003 CR85RB and we replaced it when he first got it just over a year ago (so we knew what we were starting with) and have seen the performance dip a little. Once we get his 05 going, we will refresh the 03 and give it to his friend. The best way to check the top end is with a compression tester, or if you have the funds, go ahead and change it out. The bogging could be your carb might need cleaned or jets are starting to clog up. My recommendation on the smaller bikes is to go ahead and replace the piston and check the cylinder, make sure your ring gap is within recommended tolerence, put a new plug, clean your carb and then make sure your jetting is on. Enjoy the bike and this site, lots of help to be found here.

Jim

Sorry it took so long. My friend did a complete carb and engine cleaning and degreased everything. Compression on the top end came out to be 107. Which is pretty high for 85's. I heard normal is 90-100.

I've never had a cr 85. I've never had a 2t run less than 125psi. If one did I replaced it. Are you kicking it with the throttle wide open?

Sorry it took so long. My friend did a complete carb and engine cleaning and degreased everything. Compression on the top end came out to be 107. Which is pretty high for 85's. I heard normal is 90-100.

My EG built 2001 CR80 (bored to a 105) is harder to kick then my 94 CR125 that EG bored to a 144. The 144 has Just over 150psi on the compression tester. I would assume that the 80 has closer to 180. You are WAY low on compression there.

Well thanks for the help everyone, im kind of new to the dirtbiking community, and im planning on buying a cr125 or 250. May i ask what the best type of top end would be to put it in real quick, then sell the bike. And ive seen people posting about kicking it with the throttle wide. Is it needed?

Well thanks for the help everyone, im kind of new to the dirtbiking community, and im planning on buying a cr125 or 250. May i ask what the best type of top end would be to put it in real quick, then sell the bike. And ive seen people posting about kicking it with the throttle wide. Is it needed?

OEM would be a good way to go if you just want to freshen the top end and sell it. Make sure you save your reciepts though so you can prove a new top end is in it. I like to use the wiseco top end rebuild kits on my bikes. You can get them for a really good price and free shipping from the link below.

EDIT: correction, looks like the 85 top end kit doesn't qualify for free shipping because it is under $99. But still a great price for an entire top end rebuild kit for under $90 after shipping charges depending on what type of shipping you choose.

http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/5536/

Thanks, do youu have any idea on a good selling price for a cr85r. Its 2003, new decals, new top end, new back tire. Clean. I was thinking of putting it on for 1.1 grand, and getting talked down to 1 grand.

Thanks, do youu have any idea on a good selling price for a cr85r. Its 2003, new decals, new top end, new back tire. Clean. I was thinking of putting it on for 1.1 grand, and getting talked down to 1 grand.

You may want to look in the local classifieds at similar bikes and price it accordingly. That would be a good deal here in utah but I don't know what your market is.

Here in AZ for an 03 as you describe, about $800 - $900 would sell. There are quite a few I have seen on CL for a while asking over a grand. But each area is different, good luck with it.

I sent you a PM

Jim