Fun for a while...

My brother and I just got new bikes (new to us any how). He got an 01 WR250F and I got a KLX450R. We went out mudding at the Tilton ATV Park (I just added it to "where to ride") last weekend and had a fun time at first.

As the bikes started heating up he had a terrible time trying to start his. I endded up stopping and pushing him some times after he would wear himself out on the kick starter. My question is: Can I help him do some mod that helps hot starts or is there an electric start mod kit for this bike? We have no idea what mods are done to it but I know the exhaust is not stock or if it is it has the insides removed.

wr250f.jpg

Tight valve clearances could result in difficult starting.

I would take the valve cover off and check the valve clearances. If they have been previously shimmed and are out of spec again, you may be due for a head rebuild... (cutting seats, new valves, springs, guides, etc).

are you familiar with the hot start procedure? http://www.thumperfaq.com/starting_drill.htm

For more info check out the "sticky" at the top of the forum. Look up FAQ. there is tons of info on his bike that you might find interesting.

Good luck.

Those Valves are probably the reason the previous owner sold the bike. A Head rebuild will probably cost about what the bike is worth. Hope he didn't pay too much for that WR. I learned my lesson on old 250 four stroke motors with a 04 RMZ 250 couple years ago. Paid 1800 for it. Rode it 2-3 times. Spent 1200 getting head rebuilt. Sold it to next guy for 1600.

I'd pull the carb and check the jetting. If it is still in the lean stock settings or if it was jetted by someone who didnt know what they were doing, that will make starting it difficult. Verify all the free mods are done and check your valve clearances before you shell for a rebuild. Hard hot starts could be valves, but there are many cheaper options to diagnose first.

I read that the 2001/2002 model year tends to be difficult to start hot. Rejetting and following the hot start procedure may help. The cams used in other model years richen the air fuel mixture to aid starting. Some owners have put 2003 cams in their 2001/2002's for this reason. Do a search here on starting and you will be able to sort this out I bet.

I have a 01 that was a beast to start. The best way to get rid of it is too get a 03 cam, we put in a boseyn quickshot, a power now mod. This was of course after praying to the jetting gods and a ton of kicks. What ultimately got my wr to be a one kick starter was putting in a 290 kit into it.

Check the jetting and make sure that it is good.

Thanks for all you input. There are a lot of good ideas of things to check. We will get on it.

Does that look like a stock pipe in the picture? If so, any ideas where to get a baffle for it. He wants it to be much more quiet like my KLX450.

Yes it does look like a stock pipe. GYTR makes a insert for it. It makes it quiet but it can also causes performance issues (at least on mine it did). Suggest finding a stock YZ exhaust or go aftermarket. Highly suggest getting a cam from a 03+ YZ and eliminate the decompression lever. Here is a link to a great read. There are many links in it. Follow them all and enjoy!!

http://thumperfaq.com/

Edit: You can go 03+ WR cam as well but one of the free mods is YZ cam timing and the YZ cam will do that for you. Read the link and it will explain it better than I can

I read that the 2001/2002 model year tends to be difficult to start hot. Rejetting and following the hot start procedure may help. The cams used in other model years richen the air fuel mixture to aid starting. Some owners have put 2003 cams in their 2001/2002's for this reason. Do a search here on starting and you will be able to sort this out I bet.

That's the ticket!

on my 01 with stock jets, i dont use the hot start, it starts easier with out it