Sign in to follow this  

1990 XR200 clutch

Hi. I should be able to figure this one out, but I havent. So it is to the wise here at TT I ask. Why won't my dang clutch release? Had it apart 3 times and havent figured it out. It is assembled correctly..:smirk:

Ok. so I assume warped or damaged clutch plates may be a cause. am I the first to ever have this problem? I can't believe no one has an idea.

You are probably on the right track with the damaged piece of clutch plate idea. You are sure it is all re-assembled in the correct order...all springs are good, and accounted for, etc.

Does it not release because you can't pull the lever?

Or is there no resistance when pulling the lever?

You are probably on the right track with the damaged piece of clutch plate idea. You are sure it is all re-assembled in the correct order...all springs are good, and accounted for, etc.

Yes, I checked and re checked, I am pretty sure all is correct.

Does it not release because you can't pull the lever?

Or is there no resistance when pulling the lever?

Clutch lever pull is normal, but shifted into gear the plates will not disengage. Old plates too.

Bummer, these clutches are usually pretty trouble free. Two possible causes: sticky plates or basket finger wear.

If a clutch sits engaged for a long time some of the the plates may stick together preventing disengagement even while the clutch lever feels normal. Usually they will break free when you shift into gear. If you can get the bike moving and in gear try riding it a bit while holding in the clutch lever, this will usually break them lose. You can also try to break them lose by putting the bike in 6th gear and rocking it against compression while holding in the clutch lever.

With finger wear the clutch disengages but drags. The tangs on the friction disks are steel and wear grooves in the aluminum fingers on the basket. The friction disk tangs get stuck in the grooves and can't slide apart when the clutch is disengaged, causing drag.

I am having the same problem. Is there a certain alignment that needs to be made? I know the washer is marked with "outside", so I installed that correctly. But when I get the basket and plates all installed there is space between the plates, almost like plates are missing... There was 4 metal friction plates and 5 fiber plates when i disassembled it, it's a friends bike and i'm not sure about previous maintenance on it. When I reassembled it and tried to shift into gear, the bike just acts like the clutch is engaged. Thanks for any help..

Bummer, these clutches are usually pretty trouble free. Two possible causes: sticky plates or basket finger wear.

If a clutch sits engaged for a long time some of the the plates may stick together preventing disengagement even while the clutch lever feels normal. Usually they will break free when you shift into gear. If you can get the bike moving and in gear try riding it a bit while holding in the clutch lever, this will usually break them lose. You can also try to break them lose by putting the bike in 6th gear and rocking it against compression while holding in the clutch lever.

With finger wear the clutch disengages but drags. The tangs on the friction disks are steel and wear grooves in the aluminum fingers on the basket. The friction disk tangs get stuck in the grooves and can't slide apart when the clutch is disengaged, causing drag.

I will try and check them this weekend. Thanks.

I am having the same problem. Is there a certain alignment that needs to be made? I know the washer is marked with "outside", so I installed that correctly. But when I get the basket and plates all installed there is space between the plates, almost like plates are missing... There was 4 metal friction plates and 5 fiber plates when i disassembled it, it's a friends bike and i'm not sure about previous maintenance on it. When I reassembled it and tried to shift into gear, the bike just acts like the clutch is engaged. Thanks for any help..

The part fiche illustration is from the engine side, backwards from how we look at the clutch. #1 is the washer with a "outside" mark. Shown are 5 driving friction plates (#4) and 4 driven clutch plates (#5). #3 bolts to the tranny input shaft, and #6 clamps the plates together against #3.

3275_CLUTCH.gif

Thanks, yea, I've seen that diagram and assembled it correctly, but I still have the same result. I'm gonna keep working til I figure it out.