Sign in to follow this  

Honda crf100f or Yamaha ttr125L??

my last bike was a little 50, and i want to get a bike to go on trails and stuff. im 5'5. I am a beginner so would the honda be enough or do i need the extra power to be able to climb hills and go through tough or muddy trails??

I like the honda and it is almost 20lbs lighter but does that matter? please give me advice

Both are too small. Go for a Honda CRF 150r is you really want 4 strokes or get a kx100.

Both are too small. Go for a Honda CRF 150r is you really want 4 strokes or get a kx100.

I like 4 strokes and i think im happy with the size im just worried about the power

The TTR125L is a terrific bike. It will have plenty of power for you to ride trails and play on. The suspension is very plush, so if you want a bike to take some jumps on, you may need to get that adjusted.

I have ridden both of my wifes TTR's quite a bit, I am about 160 pounds and it will pull me up just about any trail I point it at. It is a very low maintenance motorcycle.

The TTR125L is a terrific bike. It will have plenty of power for you to ride trails and play on. The suspension is very plush, so if you want a bike to take some jumps on, you may need to get that adjusted.

I have ridden both of my wifes TTR's quite a bit, I am about 160 pounds and it will pull me up just about any trail I point it at. It is a very low maintenance motorcycle.

thanks! do you know anything about the honda?

I owned a 05 CRF100F and 06 CRF150F. At your height, I think the CRF100F is just a bit too small and doesnt have a lot of suspension travel. I would recommend the CRF150F over the CRF100F given your height. Both have 19" front/16" rear, but the 150 has electric start and greater suspension travel.

The CRF150F is very similar to the TTR125LE but it sits about an inch higher in the seat and has about an inch more suspension travel, plus a few more cc's. It also appears to weight quite a bit more than the TTR125LE.

It's low maintenance, has plenty of low end torque to pull you up hills and is fairly docile. My son was about 5' 8" and 150 lbs when he learned to ride it. No problem pulling him up hills even at 8K-12K feet here in Colorado.

I think it comes down to the combination of price/condition/year between the TTR125LE and the CRF150F. And since the Honda is just a bit bigger, it may last you just a little bit longer before you outgrow it.

The CRF150R is a higher strung watercooled 4 stroke bike and sits about the same height as the CRF150F, but has 17"/14" wheels, much better suspension and brakes, easily double the horsepower and a price tag that reflects the better technology. It also isnt particularly suited for low-key trail riding for a beginner.

Im thinking of the crf150f except it only comes in electric start. would this ever be a problem wiht no kickstart? i dont want to get stranded because my e-start isnt working.

I've ridden both and prefer the TTR-L. Better suspended, front disk brake, and just a little more power. I was surprised at how well it could do in some pretty gnarly stuff. I'm a small guy at 150#, though. Even still, that thing was way too small for me. If you can swing it financially and if you're growing fast, you might want to look into the 150F. Closer to a full sized bike and will last you much longer. You bring up a good point about lack of a kick start. The kick start option is a must-have out on the trails. That puts the TTR out front.

You can never get stranded if you just have E-Start...you can always bump start it.