Sign in to follow this  

2006 crf250r valve clearance check

i dont have a manual so just making sure that the specs are correct before i check the valves again.

so intake is .005...whats the range more or less that there still good?

exhaust is .011....range more or less?

are those correct specs?

i think it has a stage 2 hotcam, does that make a difference on specs?

Thanks

your dead on...and no hot cam dosent matter its best to re shim or replace once valves start to move like wgen intakes are .004 and exhaust are .010

The spec's are .004"-.006" on the intake side and from .008"-.011" on the exhausts. Anywhere outside the parimeters, it becomes real hard to kick start.

okay, my intakes are .006....so about right.

exhausts are .006...should be .011.....so they are too tight

now what?

replace or shim? how long can i ride on it like this?

a shim is like a band aid. it will only fix it for a little while...if you have the money just replace the valves now so you dont mess the head up or anything.

okay, my intakes are .006....so about right.

exhausts are .006...should be .011.....so they are too tight

now what?

replace or shim? how long can i ride on it like this?

You can re-shim the exhaust valves back to .011". Chances are, they were set up wrong from the beginning. The exhaust valves rarely move and if they do, it's .003" or less. The exhaust valves are steel and don't wear like the intake valves. What does wear on the exhaust side are the valve guides.

in my manual my clearances are meant to be 0.03mm. i haven't checked mine in a long time but im about to. what are the best specs to do my clearances at?

in my manual my clearances are meant to be 0.03mm. i haven't checked mine in a long time but im about to. what are the best specs to do my clearances at?

In inches, the intake valves should be set between .004"-.006" and the exhaust valves between .008"-.011". You can do the metric converson. Some folks say that the closer to the lower number makes more power. Unless you ride the wheels off the bike, I don't think you'll know the difference one way or the other. Some when you adjust them on the tight side have starting issues. Not all, some.