Sign in to follow this  

transmission re assembly questions

Putting together a 90's cr125 from scratch. At any point when turning the main and counter shafts, without the trans being connected to the crank, should the gears come to a stop in one direction or another?

I am using a manual and triple checking everything, this is my second complete 2 stroke rebuild, and had the same problem on the same year cr250, unfortunately never got to the bottom of that situation.

a few more notes: the gears spin freely whilst the cases are apart

I have triple checked the clips, collars and gear spacers and everything looks right.

I am peicing this thing together out of a box so it is rather difficult.

Thanks in advance, time is a factor, i invested a total of 400 into this bike and it will literally need nothing, new oem crank from honda of troy, rings, bearings, seals, gaskets, grips, cables, plastics are mint and this bike is tricked out with a dyno port pipe and a silencer about the size of a red bull can. Anyway, I need to sell this bike as soon as it is assembled and shook down a bit.

Do you have the shift drum assmebly installed also?

I'm no transmission expert, but it seems to me that the only way the 2 shafts shouldn't spin freely (when disconnected from the crank) is if the shafts are binding somewhere or if 2 pairs of gears are meshing at the same time. Only 1 pair/set of gears should mesh at once and if you don't have the drum/forks in there then more than one set could be engaged and, due to the different ratios, the shafts would stop turning...

Yep, I have the shift drum and forks in there, gonna have a fourth look at it to see whats happening.

I just put together my 01 250 which I am sure is different but the concept should be similiar. Mine would stop if not put together correctly. Check to make sure shift forks are in the right spot and that the correct fork is located in its proper position. They should be labeled. Good luck, tricky stuff.

Its a very fine line. I have seen worn thrust washers stop the trans when rolling through gears by hand. Double and triple check all the washers through assembly. Make sure all gears are in correct orientation and the drum forks are not worn excessively. You are smart to to mock everything together properly before the crank goes in.