2010 crf450 a POS?

The bike is not the issue. There really is only a few items that can help lap times other then PURE SKILL (suspension is the biggest one).

Simple answer your MAX'd out. Your riding at your max comfort/speed level on the track regardless of bike or CC displacement. The bike is only doing what you want and how fast you want it to go... your turning the throttle! Plain and simple

Maybe many on here never raced 125cc then 250cc and /cough tried 500cc ? but saddly I am old enough to have done it. I was faster or equal on the 125cc bike as the 250cc. The bike was lighter and easier to move around, and you were always on the gas as the power was just a bit less to control (less scary honestly...500 was stupid!!! LOL).

*Dont believe me look up the old(80's) MXDN videos were they raced 125 Vs 500 at the same time. Jonny O / JMB / Ronny L smoked them all on a 125cc bikes...!!!

Q

Bike displacement is not always a factor for going faster, typically it has the backwards effect. Small CC creates less FEAR is the honest answer.

4 Strokes have made MX racing easier for riders since the power is so much easier to work with then a 2 Stroke.

I truly think every rider should start out on a two stroke! I think most guys are jumping things they shouldn't be jumping (which makes them think they are intermediates) when they can't corner themselves out of a paper bag! Again, since you have money to burn, park this bike and buy a smoker or CRF250R and practice then ride the 450!

Get on a good Vet Track where you don't have to make jumps and work on your cornering techniques! I used to ride with a bunch of pro riders and at each practice area we had we would make turn tracks with no jumps. It was simply amazing how fast pros can turn a bike. Chasing them got me much faster riding those turn tracks in a quicker amount of time then I would have gotten trying to learn how to corner with jumps involved!

You said it was your first dirtbike. That may be a reason why. When you are new still a bunch of extras are not going to help that much if at all. When you get faster though and you need that extra power to clear a jump right out of a corner or something then you may need to modify the bike. But when you are still a beginner a modifed bike wont do that much. Give it a couple years of riding your bike so you can pick up more speed. Then go ride the other bike. I bet you that you would be faster on your crf450.

I am far from a beginner. I am just as fast as the intermediate racers through the whoops and braking into a turn, where I struggle is in the turns. My bike feels very unstable. However every mod I have done has improved the bike. I have compared the mods back to back with the stock. When I had the stock suspension revalved by FC my lap time dropped over 2.5 seconds on a 2 minute track. When I put the ohlins suspension on it only dropped by 1 second but I could ride for longer periods of time. The 21mm tripple clamps helped make the front end less twitchy, the 2.1 stabilizer eliminated the high speed head shake, the oversized front brake gave more modulation. I acknowledge that I lack some knowledge about how to set the bike up properly. However, I have done a lot of research about what works best for the honda. The wr250 weighs 20lbs more, has less power, has suspension that doesnt perform nearly as well as the Ohlins, had much more worn tires, and somehow it was just as fast because I could actually turn with it. Any suggestions to get my honda to turn better?

Not going to bash. You might be happier with a yz250f if the wr suited your style. I had the 09 crf450 and it was a bugger. Suspension & turning issues. Took 3 revalves to get the suspension right & never got the bike to turn as good as my 08 crf450. By the time I got he suspension sorted out I started having coughing and stalling problems. The bike coughed on the face of a jump and sent me over the bars breaking 3 ribs and 3rd degree AC separation. My confidence in this bike was already lower than any other bike I have ridden, but after that it was destroyed. Had the ecu reprogrammed and it seemed to have fixed it until just a few rides later it coughed after landing from a jump. Pulled off the track and sold it just a few days later. I'm sure the 10s and 11s are better, but they are still he same basic bike.

450 vs 250 ... I have also raced a 250f and pulled holeshots on it. One day I raced my 08 crf450 1st moto and my sons yz125 2nd moto to compare lap times; we had transponders. I was faster on the 450, but only 2 seconds a lap average. The biggest difference was coming around the first turn near the back of the pack instead of near the front.

I don't necessarily think all those mods were bad. Setting the bike up for your weight is always a good idea and a lot of those mods seem to be for durability, comfort, and bling. Nothing wrong with any of those things.

If they helped you go faster then that is great. You say the bike doesn't turn. Now just concentrate on getting it to turn. Work on technique. There are a lot of adjustments that can help it turn but generally you give up strait line stability. Other things could be tire selection and pressure. Also moving the front fork legs up and down in the triple clamps can effect handling. My advise would be to talk to an experienced suspension tuner and get their advice.

As far as being just as fast or faster on the WR, You can ride the WR closer to the limit of the bike than you can the 450.

Get on a good Vet Track where you don't have to make jumps and work on your cornering techniques! I used to ride with a bunch of pro riders and at each practice area we had we would make turn tracks with no jumps. It was simply amazing how fast pros can turn a bike. Chasing them got me much faster riding those turn tracks in a quicker amount of time then I would have gotten trying to learn how to corner with jumps involved!

Read this paragraph over and over! Get out and practice going slow around corners until its super comfortable. Then increase your speed slowly until it does some thing uncomfortable and figure out the cure (susp. Setup, peg weighting,body position etc.) Just keep increasing speed and work it out! Get on a vet track and work on cornering and get it sorted out!

Having said that, I had a 2006 YZ450F that no one could make it turn. What I did was sell it after a few friends said the same thing along with every magazine writer said as well!

I guess my biggest question is why is her wr250 so much more stable under braking and turn in compared to my bike. Remember her suspension was set up for a 225lb trails rider and mine is set up for a 175lb Novice mx racer. I plan on meeting with one of the suspension guys from pro circuit in the next few weeks. Hopefully he can help get my bike more stable

225 lbs trail rider will have a bike with stiff springs and soft valving. The bike is heavier than yours so it may just have a good balance. For must of us a soft suspension works ok on an mx track at least in the Vet class through novice level.

I guess my biggest question is why is her wr250 so much more stable under braking and turn in compared to my bike. Remember her suspension was set up for a 225lb trails rider and mine is set up for a 175lb Novice mx racer. I plan on meeting with one of the suspension guys from pro circuit in the next few weeks. Hopefully he can help get my bike more stable

Why don't you stop and actually read what these guys are trying to tell you?

Stop throwing money at a problem that only experience can fix!?

• Like 1

Here is another angle to look at this from. Can you out corner everyone else out there that rides a 2010 CRF450R at your local tracks? If not, you have 3 options Practice More, Set the Bike Up Better For Your Riding Style or Sell IT!

Your first two options are better really!

In my scenario, I sold it (2006 YZ450F Super Tanker) because in all honesty I am a Smoker Rider and couldnt make that bike turn to save my life! I grew up riding them and ANY of them are easier to turn the a 4 Puke! I now have 2 CRF450R's because I got them so cheap I couldnt pass them up. I havent had the chance to ride either yet (injury) but I am sure I will be having issues turning them as well UNTIL I spend enough time on them to get used to their quirks and get the set up sorted out.

Joe

I am far from a beginner. I am just as fast as the intermediate racers through the whoops and braking into a turn, where I struggle is in the turns. My bike feels very unstable. However every mod I have done has improved the bike. I have compared the mods back to back with the stock. When I had the stock suspension revalved by FC my lap time dropped over 2.5 seconds on a 2 minute track. When I put the ohlins suspension on it only dropped by 1 second but I could ride for longer periods of time. The 21mm tripple clamps helped make the front end less twitchy, the 2.1 stabilizer eliminated the high speed head shake, the oversized front brake gave more modulation. I acknowledge that I lack some knowledge about how to set the bike up properly. However, I have done a lot of research about what works best for the honda. The wr250 weighs 20lbs more, has less power, has suspension that doesnt perform nearly as well as the Ohlins, had much more worn tires, and somehow it was just as fast because I could actually turn with it. Any suggestions to get my honda to turn better?

Why do you start a thread asking for help/advice and then argue with what everybody says??? If you can't accept answers, then don't ask questions! To answer the original post, no, the 2010 crf is not a POS. There are a lot of knowledgable people giving input on here, and the tone is all the same. Stop worrying about your ridiculously modded bike and focus on your own skill level because the fact is that its more on par with a girls wr 250 than a raced out 450. Want a QUICK FIX on how to make your "bike" turn better? Lean the bike into the corner more, weight the outside footpeg, and twist the damn throttle!

who in the right mind is a beginner and send there motor to yoshimura like there is like 5 people in the world who can sqeeze all the power out of a 450 like duh if your a beginner you should have restricted the timing or put sand in your gas to slow it right down:smirk:

Why do you start a thread asking for help/advice and then argue with what everybody says??? If you can't accept answers, then don't ask questions! To answer the original post, no, the 2010 crf is not a POS. There are a lot of knowledgable people giving input on here, and the tone is all the same. Stop worrying about your ridiculously modded bike and focus on your own skill level because the fact is that its more on par with a girls wr 250 than a raced out 450. Want a QUICK FIX on how to make your "bike" turn better? Lean the bike into the corner more, weight the outside footpeg, and twist the damn throttle!

+1

If you can't ride faster laps on the 450 your skill level is the problem not the bike. Riding a slower bike and going the same speed means you are not using all the power of the 450. Like one of the previous post said at the A level most riders will be faster on a 450 where as b & c level the riders are not good enough to really take advantage of the extra power of a 450. Sorry you spend so much money only to realize your ability is the problem:bonk: