Sign in to follow this  

sound travel?

so how do you calculate how far the sound travels out of a bike? im getting a honda cr125r that has full on racing everything and want to see how loud the bike will be at a distance of lets say 100 yds? how would i figure this out, is there a formula or a online calculator that i can plug my info into? also can a shop tell me what DB level im putting out from my bike? i really want to know since im thinking of getting a fmf "Q" exhaust.

I say let someone ride it and listen for yourself. You can also get the db tested somewhere but that will be up close. If there is a will there is a way.

^ yep

there's no real good formula for calculating how far sound's gonna travel; lots of variables.

Even looking at radio signals/coverage, computer simulation gets you real close but there's areas that show no coverage on teh map where you can easily get into the tower with a few watts PEP and the right antenna. The software that generates these maps takes topo data, antenna type, antenna height, PEP, and a few other variables. Doesn't, however, account for things like multipath interference, noise from other stations nearby, or the receiving station's configuration.

thorodin_coverage.gif

Not possible...it will depend on altitude, temperature, sound frequencies (lower frequencies will travel the furthest)...you will need a DB meter to test it yourself, however it will still change depending on the environment and the surroundings (sound reflections)

If you are putting the fmf Q on it the bike will quiet if that is what you are worrying about.