Sign in to follow this  

Stainless Steal vs. Titanium headers

Buying a DRD exhaust tonight and im hung up on what header i want. Ive heard that stainless steal is harder to dent but i cant find any scientific backing for that statement. Wondering if anybody knows which is susceptable to denting?

the material in titanium is much thinner than stainless for weight savings. Stainless is more durable for offroad use. When I purchased my 4.1 system I went with a stainless header and silencer.

Go with the SS. IMO the titanium is more for bling. You aren't going to feel the weight savings.

Yup, stainless headers are much thicker and are much harder to dent when hot than titanium headers. I've had plenty of them both, titanium headers just don't hold up very well.

thanks guys. now my other option is wether or not to go with the carbon fiber muffler. Has anyone had a carbon fiber muffler crack on them?

and cost isnt an issue. im getting it for free but im just not sure if cf is durable enough to hold up when i down the bike

thanks guys. now my other option is wether or not to go with the carbon fiber muffler. Has anyone had a carbon fiber muffler crack on them?

Yup, don't bother with them. I have a factory 4.1 with a carbon fiber can and one with a titanium can and they are the same weight, but I have broken a few of the carbon cans.

alright thanks a lot. looks like i have to go with the SS/Aluminum system since they dont have a SS/TI system

CF and Ti are for the weight weenies worrying about every last ounce on their bike (does a good job of lightening their wallets too).

i have the dr.d full stainless pipe and the thing has taken some abuse and will not bend. IMO it is the only way to go. You can build yourself a trick headergaurd out of diamond plate aluminum like me and never worry about crushing a header again.

Stainless all the way. Titanium is like having a tinfoil header, look at it the wrong way and it dents.

CArbon fiber cracks easy , titanium dents easy. Do yourself and your pocketbook a favor and go with the SS

if you have $$$ and like the pretty lil blue header then go TI. If your not-get Stainless.

CF and Ti are for the weight weenies worrying about every last ounce on their bike (does a good job of lightening their wallets too).

:smirk::thumbsup::smirk: