Lacing

Hi All,

Recently laced up a couple of Excels with Buchanan spokes for an xr100 that I am restoring for my kid and I noticed that 3 or 4 spokes on the front wheel were slightly bowed. Buchanans drilled the rims.

From the looks of it, the the drilling angle is slightly off on some of the holes since the nipple looks somewhat off to me in reference to the spoke angle. I trued it up and it is pretty good, but bowed spokes can't be good.

I have done other lacings and never had this happen (dumb luck perhaps):smirk:. I was going slightly re-drill some of the holes for correct nipple angle. Any other ideas welcome.

Well double checked my work and realized that I mis-laced the non brake side. Had the dremel out and was ready to start when I took one more look at the mounted wheel. Glad I double checked!!:smirk::banghead::smirk::prof:

Good catch.:smirk:

Building wheels is one thing I haven't approached yet. Seen the videos, read the tutorials, just haven't attempted it yet.

I got some spokes from Buchanan and had to bend em a bit to get em to go in the holes!

I shot em an email and they said it was fine. Still makes me nervous.

I got some spokes from Buchanan and had to bend em a bit to get em to go in the holes!

I shot em an email and they said it was fine. Still makes me nervous.

Interesting. On the rear hub I could not get the spokes to clear the other side of the hub, since the gauge was thicker than the stock spokes (no wiggle room IYKWIM) and I wanted to bend em. I talked to the tech at Buchanan and he advised me to drill the hub holes being careful to put an angle that would help it clear. Worked like a champ, hardly had to take off anything.

Anyway, even still I had to battle to get the spokes in and threaded and like you it makes me nervous. This job was a little harder than others I have done although my mistake made it worse. BTW I have laced up a few over the past few years and I have always had the old rims to model off of --sure am glad of that it really helps!!:smirk::bonk::smirk:

BTW Buchanan has been excellent: fast, good information, and honest. I like doing business with those guys alot.

Good catch.:smirk:

Building wheels is one thing I haven't approached yet. Seen the videos, read the tutorials, just haven't attempted it yet.

It is a challenge but not as hard as it seems. You just have to be careful and have some patience:foul::smirk:. For me check and double check are the keys, oh and using the old rims as model (if possible) helps a lot.:prof: