CRF450X Wheel strain?

I've felt a "lug"/"drag" feeling while riding my X. It's during the rotation of the rear wheel, somewhere. I thought it might have been rear wheel bearings. I have two rear rims, so I swapped out the rear wheel and I thought It was good until I started to cinch tight the adjusters & axle nut. With the chain off the wheel spins easily. When I have the chain on it has a drag, during the rotation. It does not stop in the same spot. If you pull the front wheel down, (when it's in the air) it spins freely. The rear wheel will spin and then noticeably "cease".

I took the chain off, put a socket&ratchet on the counter shaft gear bolt (front gear) and turned the transmission gearing over (neutral) and the "lug/drag" feeling wasn't there.

I put the chain back on, adjusted the chain and fasteners to spec., turned the rear wheel by hand and it gets that drag back. The chain-sprocket alignment doesn't appear out of line. The second rim that I installed does not have the rear brake disk on, so I can eliminate that.

Any ideas?

Its your axle smooth? Any wear marks? Straight?

Chain guide below swingarm bent ?? I have seen chains get "hung up" on the connector link as it goes through the guide ??

You should expect a significant increase in drag with chain on vs. off.

Especially if it is an o-ring chain.

I've seen chains have uneven ware that can cause tight loose spots. Might be time for a new chain.

baja184 - The axle is true as best I can tell. I cannot get a finger nail/flat head/feeler gauge to catch, so I'd say the surface is smooth too.

supervokes - I bought this X as a street sumo. It has a 15T in the front, so the chain guide is cut just a little forward of the pivot bolt.

Krannie - I agree with your statement. However, chain-off-rear-axle-nut-cinched fairly tight, I can still get 3&3/4 rotations out of the rear wheel, with the chain on it stops before 3 turns. Probably closer to 1 or 1&1/2 rotations.

i4bikes - I'll have to order a chain to test that one. I hope you're right.

baja184 - The axle is true as best I can tell. I cannot get a finger nail/flat head/feeler gauge to catch, so I'd say the surface is smooth too.

supervokes - I bought this X as a street sumo. It has a 15T in the front, so the chain guide is cut just a little forward of the pivot bolt.

Krannie - I agree with your statement. However, chain-off-rear-axle-nut-cinched fairly tight, I can still get 3&3/4 rotations out of the rear wheel, with the chain on it stops before 3 turns. Probably closer to 1 or 1&1/2 rotations.

i4bikes - I'll have to order a chain to test that one. I hope you're right.

That is more than normal. You are looking for a problem that isn't there.

Mine won't spin more than 1.5 on my x (DID VT-2 Xring) or my KX (cheap-o DID mx chain no orings), unless freshly lubed with WD-40

I have a bike where the rotor is slightly warped and it causes what you are describing.

Re=read your post and saw was not problem on rotor-less rim. My past three bikes are RMZ, YZF and CRFX all 450's. The RMZ had the least of your symptom, followed by X and followed by YZF with the most drag of all.

Never figured out why one was so different from another...all were O-ring chains so I had to attribute it to being just characteristics of the diff used bikes and since none of them caused severe binding, I had to let it be.

I think the chain stretch notion mentioned above may have been it though looking back.

Edited by GOTTAROOST
After Putting My Glasses On

Thanks for the troubleshooting guys. I've got a chain sprocket kit in the mail. I'll see what the difference is with a new chain/sprocket setup.