Sign in to follow this  

picking up a 2005 rm250...opinions please

Hey guys, I am going to look at/ hopefully pick up a 2005 rm250 with a bunch of work done to it. All woods related mods, which is great because I am planing on using it as my primary hare scramble race bike (if i like it).

everything i have read about the 05's is great. So i was looking to see if there is anything in particular i should look for on the 05 rm's and or if they have any common problems I couldn't find.

thanks guys!!!:smirk:

I had a 06 rc rm250 and I loved it never had any problems or complaints:ride:

I would buy the RM, the BEST thing is the handling they actually can turn without man-handling the bike. Plus, the motor is alive and responds to mods.

Feels 20lbs lighter than other bikes, just a GREAT bike.

I picked up an 05RM250 in Feb 2011 and the only things I have done are a fresh top end, boysen pro series reeds, Pro-circuit platinum pipe and silencer, works connection skid plate, and suspension serviced (not revalved, just serviced - fluids, seals). Runs perfect. I did also put an hour meter on it at the time of the top-end install. I run amsoil premix at 32:1. I use the bike for MX but am thinking about some mods to make it more woods friendly.

I owned the 2005 rm250 in 2005...great bike no issues. No "common" problems with that year that I can think of. I worked at a suzuki dealership also so if there were issues we would usually see them.

Tom

Awesome bikes. I have an 05 I bought from a NETRA guy when I lived in CT. Funny.

The biggest thing you have to watch out for on these bikes is detonation. Our current pump gas sucks, and RMs are detonation prone. Keep a close ear for pinging, and I pull my head off every 5 hours or so to check it for detonation evidence. Usually, the o rings are fine and can be reused, but if they are flat, they need to get replaced.

Other than that, enjoy.

As others have said, it is by far, easily the best handling bike I have ever owned. Soooooo easy to ride. They need to bring these back into production. I would ditch my 450 in a hurry to get a second RM250 for the track. The woods bike is great in the woods, but a bit soft for me on the track since I am an aggressive jumper.

Does any one know where I can find a front master cylinder locally in CT or NY? I picked up the RM250 and the front brakes dont work at all. The master cylinder can't hold any pressure. We are having a big riding get together this weekend and I really want to test this bike out.

no brakes makes is very bad!!

The bike I picked up has an FMF gnarly pipe and the bike has great bottom end, but it has like no hard hitting powerband. Also the top-end over rev and high rpm power is not very impressive.

I love the bottom end and "luggability" but I am wondering if this is typical with the gnarly pipe or if its an issue with the bike or top end health. I will check compression on the bike to make sure its got good compression. But I put at least 4 hrs on the bike today and it runs and starts great and has no issue running long and hard. No fouled plugs and the bike will idle all day.

love the bike by the way!!! handles great, runs awesome tons of FUN!!!

The bike I picked up has an FMF gnarly pipe and the bike has great bottom end, but it has like no hard hitting powerband. Also the top-end over rev and high rpm power is not very impressive.

I love the bottom end and "luggability" but I am wondering if this is typical with the gnarly pipe or if its an issue with the bike or top end health. I will check compression on the bike to make sure its got good compression. But I put at least 4 hrs on the bike today and it runs and starts great and has no issue running long and hard. No fouled plugs and the bike will idle all day.

The RM250 like the RM125 handle like a scalpel, the KX250's have low-end but the RM can turn circles around them.

I am going to put Bridgestone M403/M404 tires on mine, just all around kind of jack of all trades tires.

Lastly, a good rule of thumb if the bike is used go ahead and put a new piston/rings/wrist-pin/bearing circlips in it. You can check the bottom-end health as well. I got a complete Suzuki top-end kit and I went ahead and bought the Suzuki (full gasket) kit to have on hand. Since every time I needed a gasket or something it would be Sunday after Church...

Gnarly's have no overrev. They work great in the grunt dept but I like bikes that will rev to the moon too. I like the PC works and Bill's pipes. I would rate the FMF Fatty 3rd in choices, maybe second now that you cant get a Bill's pipe new anymore :smirk:

I will be racing hare scrambles with the RM and I don't want to kill the bottom end too much. Would running a FMF fatty be a good compromise between over rev and bottom end?

I picked up an 05RM250 in Feb 2011 and the only things I have done are a fresh top end, boysen pro series reeds, Pro-circuit platinum pipe and silencer, works connection skid plate, and suspension serviced (not revalved, just serviced - fluids, seals). Runs perfect. I did also put an hour meter on it at the time of the top-end install. I run amsoil premix at 32:1. I use the bike for MX but am thinking about some mods to make it more woods friendly.

Hi I have a 2005 rm250 I think I need to rebuild the top can you please give me some tips? Can I use a std piston or should I first measure the cylinder?

I think a Fatty works well. Also a PC Works pipe is good too. The stock pipes perform pretty good too. I think they all are good, except the Gnarly falls too fast, but has wicked bottom. It is all personal preferance of course. In a perfect world, we could test out products before a purchase.:ride: