Garmin 60Csx or Garmin 62S?

I am looking to get a new GPS for riding. Looking at the Garmin 60Csx and the new 62S, not concerned with the power cable options for hooking to the bikes power as I will be using batteries. and going between different bikes with it and also using it for hiking. Only $60 difference in price. What would you go with and why?

62S = Newer technology. I would have went with that but needed power to mine so got the 78S. 62S looks like a great product. my 2 cents.:smirk:

I had the same choice a few months ago and went with the 60sxc (not sure of the letters but, it came with basic maps). I based my choice on reviews on the Internet and people who had used both. The people I talked to said the 60 was just better over all and more "comfortable". One guy told me not to waste my money on the 62 because there was really no noticeable improvement over the 60.

Take it for what its worth but, that's why I bought the 60.:smirk:

No new technology in the 62/78 just different firmware. Actually 62 has worse antenna.

Big difference is in track features. You should read reviews on AdvRider.com there are tons of comments.

Now Montana is the latest hot item.

I have been reading them. but is it worth it to be able to switch between maps and have 200 tracks vs. 20

No new technology in the 62/78 just different firmware. Actually 62 has worse antenna.
The 62/78 offer faster processors, more internal memory, and wireless data sharing.

Also keep in mind you'll need additional maps for them - I run CityNav on the bike/truck and that's about $80. Add Topo for snowmobiling, another $100. The basemap in the unit is next to useless. Some models of the 62 (62t iirc) come with enhanced basemaps.

Antennas.... even with my old GPS12 (Patch antenna), I never had a problem losing lock. TTFF may improve with a better antenna, but generally once the receiver's locked it's going to hold the lock. The QFH on the 60 works well pointed straight up, but mounted on the bike or holding it in your hand and lookin at it, the patch antenna's mounted in a suitable direction. I'm not sold on the "this antenna's better than that one"... IMO it has more to do with the chipset and amplifiers behind the antenna.

Switching between maps... A little more tricky on the 60/76, but totally doable. My phone has an SD card slot, I have a file manager utility on there, so I can change between mapsets by pulling the card out of the GPS, loading it into my phone, and renaming files there.

As far as the tracks go... I log all my tracks to the data card as a backup, so if I can't download from the receiver to the computer I'm still not losing any data. I haven't ever come close to using all 20 "saved track" positions in my 60. 200 would be great, but again... I don't think i'd ever use them. 20 tracks with 500 points each, with the active log of 10k points is more than I need. Track capacity was the primary reason I upgraded to the 60 from my GPS12. That only held 1024 trackpoints, I could fill that in half a day's riding.

I can get the GPS 60CSx for $180 or the 62s for $280 I have the southwest topo 24k dvd and city nav dvd already from Ebay. Just have to decide Dang it is a tough decision I just dont want to get the 60 if it is going to be obsolete and not work with the new software in the future or will it still work with basecamp etc.

they won't really "go obsolete" like a computer will... hte GPS signals now are the same thing they were 20 years ago... the new ones aren't going to be any more accurate either. What does change are the features (maps and memory) or the interface (touchscreen). How much do you want to pay for those additional features... the eTrex line is still a great receciver for cheap, but it doesn't have all the shiny things that the new ones do. The 60/76 line isn't going away anytime soon.

I'd go with the 62s. I have the 60csx and am always having to move tracks back and forth b/w my computer and the gps. Having 200 tracks available would be a big help.

What maps are you all running on your 60csx gps?? i never have downloaded any topo or street maps... now i'm riding a lot of dual sport it would be nice to have a map installed. any suggestions?

What maps are you all running on your 60csx gps?? i never have downloaded any topo or street maps... now i'm riding a lot of dual sport it would be nice to have a map installed. any suggestions?

CityNavigator's the one to get for DS use. Useful waypoints, and it's routable.

CityNav 2011 has a ton of dirt trails... made a run through rampart/717 out here on monday and most of the OHV trails we rode were on the map.

citynav.map.pngcitynav.find.pngcitynav.food.png