Tire suggestions

It's time to put new rubber on my 07 XR650L. I ride 90% on the pavement and hop on the trails from time to time. I'm kinda liking the D606 Dual Sport tire but when I size it up at Rockymountain's site it calls for a 120/90x18 but also gives option for a 130. This is a wider tire correct? And if so has anyone tried a wider rear tire, will this one fit? Any suggestions for a better tire or even somewhere cheaper than r.m.atv/mc?

It's time to put new rubber on my 07 XR650L. I ride 90% on the pavement and hop on the trails from time to time. I'm kinda liking the D606 Dual Sport tire but when I size it up at Rockymountain's site it calls for a 120/90x18 but also gives option for a 130. This is a wider tire correct? And if so has anyone tried a wider rear tire, will this one fit? Any suggestions for a better tire or even somewhere cheaper than r.m.atv/mc?

The Dunlop D606 is about the best wearing dirt tyre for pavement and either the 120 or 130 will fit your bit, the 130 will be a tad taller but also a tad wider :smirk:

Matt.

If you're riding 90 percent street, 10 percent dirt, you might want to try either the Michelin T63 tire, or the Shinko 244 tire. :smirk:

Spud :smirk:

You should also consider the IRC GP-110 for mostly street riding. It gets very good traction on pavement.

Why do you feel that a 130 would be better than a 120? Most riders can't tell the difference in traction, and a 130 is heavier.

X2 on a more street orientated tire than the D606. I'm the D606 80%dirt. Great tire, buzzes on the road and will break loose if pushed on the slab. I'd hate riding it 90% street...it will wear out in about 1200 miles. Mine has 1200 miles on it and will need replace within 400 more and that's 80% dirt which means I've gotten very good mileage out of the rear tire and will probably buy another...unless, I can find some of those Australian Motoz tires

Are the mefo tires passe? They had a nice one that I would call 90/10.

A 606 seems a bit aggressive for 90/10.

Dave

Also Kenda 270's

If you're riding 90 percent street, 10 percent dirt, you might want to try either the Michelin T63 tire, or the Shinko 244 tire. :smirk:

Spud :smirk:

+1 for the T63!

You should also consider the IRC GP-110 for mostly street riding. It gets very good traction on pavement.

Why do you feel that a 130 would be better than a 120? Most riders can't tell the difference in traction, and a 130 is heavier.

+1 for the IRC's.

I just mounted a set and they ride great on the road. I think they will do well in dirt but deep mud could be a problem.

+1 for the IRC's.

I just mounted a set and they ride great on the road. I think they will do well in dirt but deep mud could be a problem.

Even shallow mud is a bit of an issue. They don't steer well in mud and tend to fall into ruts when going up steep hills. They work pretty well for everything else off road, though, and they have great traction on pavement when hustling along on twisty roads.

Thanks for the input. I'm still thinking the D606 is going to be my choice. My son is 13 and we just got rid of his CRF70F and I'm hunting down a bigger bike for him now. With that said, I know I'm gonna be off the road with him more this year than last since he was too big for the 70 last year. It makes sense to me to get a tire that so I can at least get on the trails with him.

I haven't installed mine yet, but the Maxxis desert IT are supposed to be a long wearing tire. And good gripping (not DOT). I do a lot of road riding just to get to some aggressive trails, and I thought the 606 lasted good enough for me. I'll go thru tires more just to have it when I need it in the ruff.

I will probably go back to the 606 cuz I like the more spaced tread pattern than the desert IT, but the results aren't in yet. I also like a 130 more, tho it is harder to turn in the tight stuff.

Even shallow mud is a bit of an issue. They don't steer well in mud and tend to fall into ruts when going up steep hills. They work pretty well for everything else off road, though, and they have great traction on pavement when hustling along on twisty roads.

I don't know any non dirt oriented tire that does any good in mud. Even pretty aggressive non DOT knobbie have trouble. Maybe metzler Carous, but those are for heavy bikes and like 95/5 dirt/ street.