yz125 won't roll in neutral!

So I picked up my completely used 2003 YZ125 the other day and it worked like a charm. Took off the wheel to replace the tube, put the wheel back on and now I can't get the bike to roll when it's off :smirk: I know it's neutral because it rolls like an inch back and forth and then the wheel locks up. Tried loosening the chain but it didn't work. After that I completely lost my mind in trying to figure out what it is...wondering if you guys can help??? :smirk: Thank you!

are you sure its neutral, in gear itl move back and forth a inch or so?

are you sure its neutral, in gear itl move back and forth a inch or so?

Ahh...I will deff try and mess with it today again..I hate how they make it so difficult(at least for me =]) to tell if its in neutral or not! :smirk:

Ahh...I will deff try and mess with it today again..I hate how they make it so difficult(at least for me =]) to tell if its in neutral or not! :smirk:

You probably will not hear an audible click when it goes into neutral. If it rolls back and forth an inch or two then locks up, it is definitely in gear. I've found yamaha transmissions to be notoriously bearish when it comes to getting into neutral.

You probably will not hear an audible click when it goes into neutral. If it rolls back and forth an inch or two then locks up, it is definitely in gear. I've found yamaha transmissions to be notoriously bearish when it comes to getting into neutral.

Ahh curse me...stupid neutral...allright thank you soo much..I'll get back on here today and tell you if I got it =] THANKS!

It's definitely not in neutral. Shift all the way down to 1st and then BARELY lift your toe up to get it into neutral. It won't even feel like anything happened. If you hear a click, you've gone too far up to 2nd. The bike will roll forwards or backwards an inch in any gear. Just out of curiosity, how did you know how to change a tire tube and loosen a chain but not know how to get your bike in neutral? :smirk:

Edited by AliGee
It's definitely not in neutral. Shift all the way down to 1st and then BARELY lift your toe up to get it into neutral. It won't even feel like anything happened. If you hear a click, you've gone too far up to 2nd. The bike will roll forwards or backwards an inch in any gear. Just out of curiosity, how did you know how to change a tire tube and loosen a chain but not know how to get your bike in neutral? :smirk:

I'd like to know that one myself. If the wheel can turn about 5-10 degrees, then suddenly stops, it is in gear. Did you lose the detent and spring for the shift cam? If the bike is on the stand, try pulling in the clutch, and rotating the rear wheel. These transmissions are not designed to shift without the wheel turning, at least a little bit. You may actually be in another gear altogether than you think. By spinning the wheel and then shifting again and again, you'll finally be in first. Then, with your hand, should be able to gently pull up and feel it stop in neutral. Unless the detent roller/spring or shift mechanism are messed up Go look at the Yamaha site parts list: under "shifter" and "shift drum" or however it is listed, down towards the bottom on the left hand side. Open each and you can see the detent roller and spring, and the star shaped cam it engages. If something jammed or came loose, it could be that.

But I'll vote for being in a different gear than you think, so there will be no neutral where you're looking. Let us know the answer.

You probably put both pads on one side of the brake rotor.

Check your rear brake pads/caliper/rotor.

found out my bike wasn't in neutral! thanks to everyone who helped! xo