Sign in to follow this  

Help with base gaskets

I rebuilt my 03 200 MXC and just measured "dimension x" - top of piston to top of bore. The manual says it should be 0.0 mm. At TDC the piston at first looked and felt flat with the cylinder...but running my finger over it a few times, it was just BARELY over the cylinder. I couldnt fit my digital caliper in there correctly to get an accurate measurement, but i would say the piston was about 0.25 mm over the cylinder bore. Is that enough to need a thicker base gasket??

And i dont have the head modified or anything, just a new Wiseco stock size piston.

Edited by rhinoracin

I rebuilt my 03 200 MXC and just measured "dimension x" - top of piston to top of bore. The manual says it should be 0.0 mm. At TDC the piston at first looked and felt flat with the cylinder...but running my finger over it a few times, it was just BARELY over the cylinder. I couldnt fit my digital caliper in there correctly to get an accurate measurement, but i would say the piston was about 0.25 mm over the cylinder bore. Is that enough to need a thicker base gasket??

And i dont have the head modified or anything, just a new Wiseco stock size piston.

considering most stock squish ranges are in the 1.5mm+ range, you should be good, especially if you can barely tell with your finger. It will give you a little more compression and performance.

squish some solder in there if you are concerned about clearance.

Thats good. I know im good on clearance because the head has plenty of room for the piston to come up. Will i still be good with 91 octane gas?

Thats good. I know im good on clearance because the head has plenty of room for the piston to come up. Will i still be good with 91 octane gas?

should be. the factory tolerances are pretty sloppy to accommodate the variation in fuels across the world.

I ran 93 pump gas with a MikeS cut head to 1mm squish.