Sign in to follow this  

How do I know if my DR-Z needs a new clutch?

So I just picked up a new 05 sm for $2500 bucks. I love it so far, has a lot more power than my 88 klr250 haha. But I have noticed that it takes a lot more throttle from a standstill to get it going even than my old klr. It seems to clack fairly loud if I even get close to going too slow in any given gear. Also, my klr250 used to be able to make it up any hill no matter how steep in 6th going 20-30 mph no problem. The drz wont even make it up a decent sized hill in my neighbor hood in 4th! This bike feels COMPLETELY different than my old klr so maybe it will just take some getting used to. Any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Is it stock engine?.. Any mods?..What gearing is it running?....sounds like its geared too tall ...

And welcome to the TT Party...:smirk:

You're not keeping the revs high enough. Clacking is not good unless you want to wipe out the bottom end and put a atrocity in it

It's true, it's no chugger, let it breathe a bit.

It's no coincidence that it makes you smile more when you rev it!

the drz motor is designed to rev to about 10,000rpms.shift up when you don't feel it pulling hard anymore.peak power is at about 7-8500rpm.

Ok, noted about the revving. I still think I may need a new clutch though, the bike has 15xxx miles on it and I believe a stock clutch. What WOULD be some signs that my clutch is starting to go/gone? I would assume loss of power, problems from a standstill on a hill and just overall lack of "grabbieness" etc. Any other tell-tale signs than your clutch needs replacing?? thanks guys.

Put the bike in fifth gear at idle and dump the clutch with both brakes held. If the bike runs for more than a couple seconds, then it probably needs a clutch. It could also mean you are using the wrong oil... Note that this is very hard on a clutch so don't do it often.

It could also mean you are using the wrong oil... Note that this is very hard on a clutch so don't do it often.

using the wrong oil is?? or popping the clutch in 5th??

Yeah..don't use car oil with friction modifiers or anything teflon based...

Man..that advice on dumping the clutch in 5th gear is not good for your engine drivetrain, full stop....:smirk:

If you have clutch slippage when your engine is under load , is a obvious tell tale sign of worn clutch...

Dumping the clutch is hard on your bike. Don't do it often. Using oil with friction modifiers will make your clutch slip. Oil that says "energy conserving" has friction modifiers which are bad for your clutch.