Sign in to follow this  

yammy DT175 issues

hey guys, its a 91 model yamaha dt175. put a new head gasket in it, rode it for maybe 5 mins and ever sinse then it has kicked over and with a pre sad idle that will only last a few seconds then it dies. it would sometimes start for a few secs if we left it for 5 mins. any help would be greatly appreciated :smirk:

Better description please. I don't understand what it is doing/not doing, and the connection, if any, to the head gasket.

- why the new head gasket? Did it work before, and now it doesn't?

- Are you saying it won't idle? If that is the case, have you cleaned the carb, especially the pilot circuit?

thats the thing, i dont know what's wrong, ive tried all sane possibilities.

what would u thinks wrong when it will idle (but real dodgy) for 10 seconds? and when i give it a bitta throttle, it dies..

thats the thing, i dont know what's wrong, ive tried all sane possibilities.

what would u thinks wrong when it will idle (but real dodgy) for 10 seconds? and when i give it a bitta throttle, it dies..

Still master of the vague, I see.

problem:idles for short period, then dies if throttle is opened.

I'd have to go with lack of fuel flow to the carb, or through the jets. Check to see if fuel flows well from the tank into a gas can. If not, remove the gas cap, try again, if ok, fix/replace cap. If not, check the strainer on the petcock. Once you PROVE you have gas flow to the carb, then see if it really flows into bowl, through jets, etc. keep going until you find it, PROVING it each step of the way. the carb bodies plug up in the idle circuit, often need a good soak in solvent and a blast of compressed air. Do not use metal/hard objects to clean jets.

Still master of the vague, I see.

problem:idles for short period, then dies if throttle is opened.

I'd have to go with lack of fuel flow to the carb, or through the jets. Check to see if fuel flows well from the tank into a gas can. If not, remove the gas cap, try again, if ok, fix/replace cap. If not, check the strainer on the petcock. Once you PROVE you have gas flow to the carb, then see if it really flows into bowl, through jets, etc. keep going until you find it, PROVING it each step of the way. the carb bodies plug up in the idle circuit, often need a good soak in solvent and a blast of compressed air. Do not use metal/hard objects to clean jets.

yeah, i have fuel getting to the barrel, bowls filling, man, it really makes no sense?

yeah, i have fuel getting to the barrel, bowls filling, man, it really makes no sense?

Well, the vague thing is still there.

"fuel to the barrel" what are you saying? Im happy to assist, but I don't understand what you mean.