Sign in to follow this  

Drz 400 sm fork seals

Hi guys, its me again with a question. After having a local dealer not being able to do my fork seals I have decided to do them myself.

The question is how many litres of oil do I need for my USD forks and is there anything Ive got to look out for as this is my first attempt to don fork seals?

Also me being a bit of a fattie at 103 kilos, would a thicker oil be better that the reccomended standard oil?

Ive tried searching threads but cant find an answer.

Many thanks

Adrian

I can't believe the dealer can't do them. Anyway youre going to need a seal driver , and if you change oil weight it will make the forks harsher but it won't improve bottoming resistance.

be glad the dealer cant do it. i had mine done 2 times under warranty and all they did was slip wrenches on the alL the nuts, incuding the big valve nut at the top ot the fork and jepordized the chrome finish on the lower tube. I wilL do mine myself after i come up with $400 for the lower tube. SOME STEALERS SUCK!

I can't believe the dealer can't do them. Anyway youre going to need a seal driver , and if you change oil weight it will make the forks harsher but it won't improve bottoming resistance.

The dealer, even after three days of having my bike in his shop, asked me if I could find him a 50mm socket!!!!!!!!

Not suprising really. The vast majority of bikes around here in Gibraltar are all mopeds and any one with a proper bike will take it across the border to Spain.

Even more gutted because where I keep my bike garaged in Spain just across the road I have a bike shop where I know the guys quite well but I thought of keeping it local in Gibraltar, you know to boost local economy and all that, and what do I get in return????

I recon I could easily make a seal driver using a PVC pipe, what I dont have is a seal bullet or that tool for measuring the oil, thats why I want to know how much oil I need.

Looking at the links it has got me confused now...Do I have cartrige or dual chamber?

You have an inner cartridge that holds 182ml and the outter chamber which holds about 350ml (stock). You can adjust the outter chamber level a little up or down depending on the ride youre looking for. Less oil will be a liitle softer, more will be a little stiffer. Stock fluid is 5W but I like to run 7W at 350ml. When you do you replace the seals, make sure the tension spring is facing in towards the fork tube and take a good look at your bushings. Personally I replace them every time I do a fork service along with replacing the cartridge oil. If you dont want to go through the hassle, you dont HAVE to change the cartridge fluid. But definitly inspect the bushings. If any of the tephlon coating is worn through then replace them. Its cheap insurance. There are a few fork service videos on line so check them out. Make sure your work area is super clean. You dont need a Seal Bullet. Just use a plastic baggy over the end of the leg and coat it liberally with grease. You can use PVC to drive the seals but a weighted driver works alot better. And you WILL need a way to accurately measure the amount of oil you put in the outter chamber. Take your time, follow the videos, and good luck!

You have an inner cartridge that holds 182ml and the outter chamber which holds about 350ml (stock). You can adjust the outter chamber level a little up or down depending on the ride youre looking for. Less oil will be a liitle softer, more will be a little stiffer. Stock fluid is 5W but I like to run 7W at 350ml. When you do you replace the seals, make sure the tension spring is facing in towards the fork tube and take a good look at your bushings. Personally I replace them every time I do a fork service along with replacing the cartridge oil. If you dont want to go through the hassle, you dont HAVE to change the cartridge fluid. But definitly inspect the bushings. If any of the tephlon coating is worn through then replace them. Its cheap insurance. There are a few fork service videos on line so check them out. Make sure your work area is super clean. You dont need a Seal Bullet. Just use a plastic baggy over the end of the leg and coat it liberally with grease. You can use PVC to drive the seals but a weighted driver works alot better. And you WILL need a way to accurately measure the amount of oil you put in the outter chamber. Take your time, follow the videos, and good luck!

Many thanks bro!!!! You got my confidence soaring high, now all I need is some spare time to do it lol:lol: Ill let you all know how it goes. Still have a few other mods pending...

Regards

Adrian

No problem. Youre best bet is to order an actuall shop manual for your bike and watch a couple videos. The manual will have the fluid levels and torque specs. The video will show you how to do it. It isnt hard at all but there are a few things to watch out for and certain steps that need to be performed in order. The video I watched was one by motopower. Its a good video but it was on Showa forks in general, not DRZ 400SM Showa forks. The procedures are the same for all the Showa USD forks but the fluid levels are specific to the model, which is why the manual is a big help. I got my manual from the TT store. Its not cheap but I have needed it and used it a bunch of times.