Sign in to follow this  

Coolant

In that cr250 you could just run regular antifreeze. That motor doesn't run that hot. If you want to run engine ice you could but it isn't completely necessary.

Yes, regular ethylene glycol coolant is all you need. Use the "extended life" version as they don't contain silicates that will lead to pump seal leaks. I always use the cheap Walmart brand extended life coolant and it's essentially the same product that Honda sells for double the price. Mix it 50:50 with distilled water.

80% distilled water, 20% normal antifreeze.

I am wanting to know what type of coolant i should run in a 87 cr250. 50/50 mix? Distilled h20 and waterwetter? Engine Ice? Thanks!

You DO NOT want to use ANY coolant that has water in it.

What the other posters do not realize is that a 1987 Honda CR250 has a magnesium water pump cover. If you put WATER into the cooling system it WILL cause an electrolytic reaction to occur.

This results in eventual destruction of the water pump cover.

One solution is to replace the 1987 water pump cover with a cover from a 1989 CR250. The other is to NEVER run any water in your cooling system is you keep the magnesium cover and to drain the coolant after every ride.

ZipTy racing makes a water free coolant.

Other manufacturers also make a water free coolant.

Yep, the '87 magnesium clutch cover is very prone to oxidation. Two of my friends used aluminum '91 clutch covers on their '87 and '88 CR250. Another option is coating the water passages in your cover with epoxy if it isn't too far gone yet.

You DO NOT want to use ANY coolant that has water in it.

What the other posters do not realize is that a 1987 Honda CR250 has a magnesium water pump cover. If you put WATER into the cooling system it WILL cause an electrolytic reaction to occur.

This results in eventual destruction of the water pump cover.

One solution is to replace the 1987 water pump cover with a cover from a 1989 CR250. The other is to NEVER run any water in your cooling system is you keep the magnesium cover and to drain the coolant after every ride.

ZipTy racing makes a water free coolant.

Other manufacturers also make a water free coolant.

Yep, beat me to it. ^^^^ :smirk:

We did the water-mixed-with-magnesium thing in my chemistry class way back in the day... trust me, you don't want that happening inside your bike! :prof: (bit it sure was cool in that little test tube! :smirk:)

Isn't distilled water fine though? I've been running the Honda coolant for years in my 86, 88, and 91 cr250s without any issues as far as I can tell.