1996 ktm 550 mxc starting issue

Hey Guys:

I recently purchased this bike from a guy who hardly rode it (original tires)

I changed all the fluids and have tried to start this beast. It fired up once when a guy told me to kick it over three times and on the fourth try go down half way then come up and let it rip. Well worked once fired right up. Now it will backfire or burp in the carb when I try this. Im getting a new plug today but any other suggestions or techniques when starting this bike. Also I dont see a choke on this bike am I missing something hear?:smirk:

Thanks

Ktmtalk.com has a forum for the older ktm's

Like yours. There are Many people willing to

Help you out with your bike on that forum.

hehehe :smirk:))

there is a trick for the big bores!!!!!!

firstly if you have that bike you should connect to the ktmtalk.com oldies section we are all there with those bikes, but i do not want to advertise anything so the trick is:

pet cock on, choke up, put in 3rd gear, push the bike back and forth 5-10 times, neutral, and give it a healthy kick, then it should start for the first kick. if it not starts until the 4th kick, then repeat the process

if you have problems even with this tehnic, then check your ignition. the motoplat is the easy starting more powerfull one and the sem is weak at lower rpms so its much harder to start it. pvl made some special ignitions for it, whose are the best yet

good luck!

pet cock on, choke up, put in 3rd gear, push the bike back and forth 5-10 times, neutral, and give it a healthy kick, then it should start for the first kick. if it not starts until the 4th kick, then repeat the process

i do this same thing. starts right up every time. normally i use 4th or 5th gear however. sem ign works flawless for me. may want to check ign timing if its backfiring alot.

Thanks for the help guys. I seen a video on you tube of a guy pushing it back and forth like that and then putting it in nuetral and it fired up. Only he did not say a word or which gear it was in. Thanks for the help guys I do appreciate it.

yeah and if you change to keihin then you will get better mileage and it will be more responsive