Tire pressures?

I'm a newbie. The tire lists a load rating at a pressure, max 30 psi. Honda label recommends 22psi. I know on car tires you can drop pressure to increase traction, but it increases wear. Could you run the motorcycle tires at a higher pressure - up to 30 psi - and sacrifice some traction for wear? Isn't all that flexure at the lower pressure creating more wear and weakness in the tire carcass?

You could and should run higher PSI for highway miles to get better MPG. When I go off road I drop my PSI below 18. I eyeball it and I can actually feel if it's still too high out on the trails.

Regarding low pressures effecting the tire carcass, I think the sidewalls of dualsport tires are flexy by nature and running low pressures won't adversely effect them.

Generally the tread will wear down before there's any real concern about sidewall degradation, unless there's been tons of high-speed miles at low pressures. Higher tire pressures will sacrifice traction for efficiency, and traction is *absolutely critical* in an avoidance maneuver. Is your life worth a few extra mpg? Maybe add a pound or two if you are a heavy rider, otherwise stick with the bike manufacturer's recommendation.

Tire pressure can be adjusted to fit the way you ride, and what terrain you are on.

Different tires have different sidewall strengthes which greatly affect the pressure you want to run.

I generally run around 10-14psi for off-road, 15-18 on-road. I know lots of people who run 7psi off-road and even some who go down to 4psi off-road (lighter bikes).

We ONLY run HD or ultra HD tubes. Our terrain is technical and rough. Tire pressure greatly affects the traction we get from this terrain. I prefer the feel of 8-12 for offroad and find lower pressures squirm too much.

For my dirt bike I run 10-13 in the front and around 5-7 on my trials tire on the rear.

Play around with it, but be careful around the extremes. Pressure affections traction and heat.

Okay thanks. I know how to play around with tire pressures off road from my MX and fire trail days, but how do you judge on the street? Manufacturer's recommendation? Back when, the bikes didn't say squat, we just went with the tire maker's label. But now, being maybe a hair smarter - or more chicken - it does make sense that less pressure on the asphalt might equate to more traction too. Works for drag racing, but how about cornering? I got caught in some rain this morning, and my XR650L, which has been feeling really steady on the road, was squirrelly as all get out running 22 psi.

Tire pressure also depends on the tire.

I've been running the Kenda 270's. If I air them down to anything less than 15psi they will pinch flat! I pretty much leave them at 25 and havent had any problems (pinch flats)

IMO theres no tire thick enough to work well at under 12 on a 650L

Outstanding info. I have Kenda 270s I am about to install and some heavy tubes.

I run 32 psi front and rear for street riding on my XR650L with IRC GP-110 tires. There's no loss of traction on the street and I think it's actually better than the Honda recommended 22 psi.

When I ride in the dirt I usually drop it down to about 15 psi or so. You don't want 32 on dirt.

what kind of bike we talking about here? type of riding? street or dirt?

XR650L, Street. 230 pound rider. I know what to do on the dirt.

I have the d606 front and rear and run 32-34 on the street , 18psi in the dirt . I don't do much dirt riding mostly slab. I have 5k on the d606 and the wear is great . Im starting to get cupping in the front tire , after all that milage . Im 5'9 188 lbs hope this helps.

running 130mm mt21 rear and scorpion pro up front - I run between 20-22psi on the road and that seems fine to me - any lower and it starts to feel too squishy to me around turns and other places where sand can build up - when offroad for an extended period of time I like to air down to 14psi, otherwise the rear skates around excessively at pressures used on the road - I can deal with it for a bit but airing down is much better...it's sandy where I live