Sign in to follow this  

Is mine jetted OK?

The 02 S model I just picked up had the 3x3 mod done, a White brothers exhaust, and a dynoket jet kit installed. It appears they sell those kits with several jets, the smallest of which is a DJ128 and although the instructions I found online don't say anything about using this jet, that is the one installed on the bike.

It seems to run OK although I haven't pulled the plug yet to check its condition. It pops a lot on deceleration but maybe that is just the open exhaust. I am at about 800 feet above sea level - does this sound correct or should I pull the DJ main and put in something else (140, 150?)

128 is going to be too small. Try a Mikuni main jet 145 or 150, do you have the stage 1 needle? If you have the stock 142.5 laying around throw that in until you can get a bigger main.

Edit: forgot to add you can't tell rich/lean from looking at the plug with modern fuels in a 4T.

128 is going to be too small. Try a Mikuni main jet 145 or 150, do you have the stage 1 needle? If you have the stock 142.5 laying around throw that in until you can get a bigger main.

I don't have the stock anything and I'm not sure which needle is in there although I assume it is also from the DJ kit. I picked up a 145 and 150 jet from the shop so I will put one in and see how it goes. I was a little surprised that it had that small of a jet - and I am not sure what a DJ128 equates to in Mikuni land.

Also check where the clip position is on the needle. With the stage 1 kit I installed I ran the clip on the 4th notch from the top. There are two kits for the DRZ from DJ. Stage 1 and stage 2. Stage 1 is for jetting the Mikuni without the 3x3 mod and so will have smaller main jets than are required for the 3x3 mod.

I don't if this is close to your set up but a search in the jetting forum turned up this thread where Eddie recommends the clip on the third notch for the stage 1 kit. It might be possible to measure the needle at some point and determine what stage kit it came from. Maybe somebody will post up that knows what, if any, the differences in the needles are.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795058&highlight=drz+stage+needle

The 02 S model I just picked up had the 3x3 mod done, a White brothers exhaust, and a dynoket jet kit installed. It appears they sell those kits with several jets, the smallest of which is a DJ128 and although the instructions I found online don't say anything about using this jet, that is the one installed on the bike.

It seems to run OK although I haven't pulled the plug yet to check its condition. It pops a lot on deceleration but maybe that is just the open exhaust. I am at about 800 feet above sea level - does this sound correct or should I pull the DJ main and put in something else (140, 150?)

Mikuni 158 main jet

dj needle

clip 2

dj slide spring

22.5 pilot jet with extended screw or 25 pilot jet with stock screw

2.75 turns fuel screw

Then do this....http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=327405