Sign in to follow this  

Lowering front sprocket

eBay has a pretty sweet deal on sprockets compared to the actual shops. I'm replacing my friends stock front 15 tooth sprocket on his 400ex with a 14 tooth. I called our local shop powersports in south toms river/beachwood and they want $25 for it. I went on eBay for the 14tooth and found one for $5. So I am gonna do the same to my 2001 CR250, Lower my tooth count by one on my front sprocket. The kind of riding i do is hill climbing, lots of straight aways, dunes, i basically rip on my bike. I dont putt around and have it opened up in each gear. Has anyone done this? And what are the results? Are you happy with the choice?

You will loose top end speed, but you will get into the powerband much quicker. You can accomplish the same thing by going larger on the rear or smaller on the front. Changing the front is cheaper, but it will have a greater affect to the change compared to going up/down one tooth on the rear.

Sorry, well is there any way to compensate for the loss of speed then? Or is there no way around this?

Nope. You can make a less dramatic change and raise the rear sprocket by one tooth rather than dropping the front, but rear sprockets cost a bit more.

Sorry, well is there any way to compensate for the loss of speed then? Or is there no way around this?

Sure, leave the sprockets on it that don't lower your top speed. Changing gearing is an either or type of thing. If you want to feel more torque but less top speed, you lower the gear ratio. If you want more top speed then you are going to feel less overall torque from your motor with that gear ratio. It is completely cut and dry.

Frdbtr, I can't call you, I don't have your number lol

Let me just say that if you don't have the stomach to accept answers when they are given, you probably shouldn't ask the question. If you think I was being condecending in my remarks simply because I answered your question with an explanation as to why your question would work, then once again, you shouldn't ask the question. IMO, name calling is simply childish and shows who really is the person with the problem here.