Which Go Pro to buy?

Sorry if this thread has already been asked but I am trying to figure out which Go Pro to buy.

I will be using it for the dirtbike and wakeboarding/wakesurfing. Im not real sure how I can mount the camera to me while wakeboarding/wakesurfing with a life vest on.

So my question is, should I purchase the Helmet Hero or Motorsports Hero?

What do you Go Pro users think?

i have the 1080p motorsports,

i believe they now have a 960 though for much cheaper, with all the benefits.

960p vs 1080p is barely a difference, if i had that option back when i got mine i would definitely go for the 960

Do you tend to wear a helmet when you wakeboard? I got the motorsport camera and that comes with the suction cup mount and a few more sticky mounts and some a couple different mounts. The helmet one comes with some straps that run through the helmet with less sticky mounts and different mounts.

Well here's the actual difference

Here's the motorsport:

683_large_CHDMH-001-01-683x4261.683x426.jpg

And here's the Helmet:

683_large_683_large_CHDHH-001-97-683x4261.683x426.jpg

If it was me in your situation, I would just give in and buy the best of the best...Its not like your talking digital SLRs where there can be thousands of dollars difference, we are talking 50, maybe 100 dollars? Buy the 1080 and be done ?

Ya Im thinking thats what I need.

If it was me in your situation, I would just give in and buy the best of the best...Its not like your talking digital SLRs where there can be thousands of dollars difference, we are talking 50, maybe 100 dollars? Buy the 1080 and be done ?

My thoughts exactly.

By the way, are you guys ever scared of losing the camera itself? I would hate to be out on the trails and have it hit by a tree branch and lose it!

Ya Im thinking thats what I need.

My thoughts exactly.

By the way, are you guys ever scared of losing the camera itself? I would hate to be out on the trails and have it hit by a tree branch and lose it!

If you use the 3m glue mount that sucker is never going to come off. I haven't used it for wakeboarding yet but if you had the chesty on it wouldn't be going anywhere. And they don't float. The suction cup mount does come in handy though if you don't want to use a glue mount.

the only difference between the 960p, and the 1080p, is resolution.

you can tell the difference in 120p? lol

id bet my bike you, or anyone...cannot.

i never even use 1080p setting. it eats up memory.

most people set it to 720p (HD), and go all day.

get the 960 and save yourself the money you would waste with the 1080.

I am in the same boat trying to decide between the models. Does anyone ever use the 720@60fps? I've read its good for slow motion stuff, but is it better video when just playing back? Like woods riding or fast track riding? What if I put this camera on a streetbike, would the 60fps serve better?

Where is the best price on the GoPro cameras?

If you do not get 1080 version, you do not get the capability of using any of their add ons...extended battery pack, LCD Back, 3D etc. If that and not having 60fps in 720 are not a concern...definitely get the 960.

I thought you could use the add ons on the 960? I've ran it in 60fps, and its not really enough frames to be considered a slow motion camera, it just will smooth out a section of video that you slow down in the video editing process. It really doesn't add much to the video quality.

720p60 is the best mode for the GoPro HD. It uses the fastest shutter speed, each individual frame of video is clearer (less motion blur) and the faster shutter speed = less "jello" (wobble) effect from the CMOS sensor.

That is the major difference between the 960 and the 1080p models.

Both cameras take excellent quality video but the 720p60 mode is best for fast motion shooting.

That's kinda what I am asking here..... is the 60fps in 720 that big a concern?

Thinking more about it, think I'll just bite the bullet and get the 1080p version and be done with it. Sure enough if I don't, at some point I'll wish I had the extended battery or the LCD add-on and be kicking myself for getting the camera that doesn't have the ability to use it.

Any idea's on the places with the best price?

Heres what you need to think about.

1. Do you need 1080p? or is the 720p (widescreen) and 960p (standard) good enough.

2. Do you want to be able to get add ons such as the LCD screen, or the extra battery pack, hero 3D ?

3.What kind of money are you wanting to spend?

Personally if your planning on using it often i say spend the extra money and get the 1080p. The 960 is fine, in 720p mode. But having those 2 extra resolution options and being able to attach the lcd screen and battery pack on the 1080 is always nice.

I have both the 1080 hero and the 960 hero, and i have almost every accessory you can get for them. I have the lcd bacpac screen for my 1080 and its awesome..i kinda wish i bought 2 1080's instead of the 960.

For me the nail in the coffin is having the ability to have the LCD screen add on. I could not imagine shooting a video or picture and not seeing the end result. I shoot a lot of pics with my Canon 50D and rely on that heavily. So 1080p it is.

Great input guys! Thanks.