Sign in to follow this  

Torque cam cover bolts

Hi!

What is the right torque for the cam cover bolts on a crf 450 from 2007?

Should I have oil on them before installing?

Mr P

7lbs. I always lube my threads. I don't use a torque wrench for those. They bottom out on the face of the shoulder of the bolt. Once they bottom out just give it a little more or use a "lb wrench.

You are talking about the 3 bolts that hold the cover on, right?

If youve got a nut driver, use that. Ive seen bad stuff happen with those even using a 1/4" drive ratchet.

The easiest way Ive found to get them started is by using a deep well socket with a neodymium magnet on the end so you can start them by hand and control the bolt angle and feel the hole and start the bolt without cross threading it.

I just had one snap flush in the head, it didnt take much im sure the previous owner streased it , it wasnt fun getting it out ,although easier then i thought , it was a real tense thing drilling into the head to get an easy out on it.

7lbs. I always lube my threads. I don't use a torque wrench for those. They bottom out on the face of the shoulder of the bolt. Once they bottom out just give it a little more or use a "lb wrench.

You are talking about the 3 bolts that hold the cover on, right?

No, I'm talking about the 4 bolts holding the cam in place.

Mr P

No, I'm talking about the 4 bolts holding the cam in place.

Mr P

Thats the cam tower, not the cam cover. Same thing really applies tho...

I think those bolts are 10ftlbs. They must be lubricated and torqued in at least 2 steps. The mechanical forces against the cam tower need to be applied across all 4 bolts evenly or stress will be created on the tower and it could crack during use. It is also a good idea to replace those bolts if they are old.

Hey Jesus, If you need a PDF Manual for the 07-08, pm me with your email, I will send you one. I downloaded it to my phone so I can use it in the garage if needed..