Was this bike a bad choice for a beginner?

I’ve only had my motorcycle license for about a month. I've ridden the DRZ around town a good bit since I got it, but I finally took it out on the freeway this past Sunday and it was not a fun experience. In fact it was so jarring that I'm not sure if I even want to try that again. Though, it was unusually windy that day.

On another note, I've also been quickly realizing how limited the opportunities for off road riding are in the SF Bay Area.

Bascially, I'm kinda wondering if I should have gotten a DR650 or something else, though after scouring Craiglist for months I never saw one in my price range or one that was and was on the market for more than 2 hours.

But I also wonder if I would have been just as freaked out by the very strong winds on Sunday no matter what bike I'd been on.

the DRZ isnt really designed for interstate cruising, it can do it, but as you now know, its not the greatest ride.

do you have street tires on it? s or sm? whats your gearing...you should list these specs in your signature, so we don't have to ask these questions over and over ..see my signature line...freeway is no problem with the right tires and gearing..

do you have street tires on it? s or sm? whats your gearing...you should list these specs in your signature, so we don't have to ask these questions over and over ..see my signature line...freeway is no problem with the right tires and gearing..

Dunno. It's a stock 2007 DR-Z400S with stock spec trailwings on it.

But it had nothing to do with the gearing or tires but the height and weight.

The wind literally blue me sideways so hard the entire bike and I were forced into a hard lean to the side that caused me to nearly change lanes. I was so rattled that I even considered pulling off to the shoulder and riding in that to the next exit.

Oh, I swapped out the gas tank and seat for a Clarke 3.9 and Seat Concepts low gripper.

I’ve only had my motorcycle license for about a month. I've ridden the DRZ around town a good bit since I got it, but I finally took it out on the freeway this past Sunday and it was not a fun experience. In fact it was so jarring that I'm not sure if I even want to try that again. Though, it was unusually windy that day.

On another note, I've also been quickly realizing how limited the opportunities for off road riding are in the SF Bay Area.

Bascially, I'm kinda wondering if I should have gotten a DR650 or something else, though after scouring Craiglist for months I never saw one in my price range or one that was and was on the market for more than 2 hours.

But I also wonder if I would have been just as freaked out by the very strong winds on Sunday no matter what bike I'd been on.

its a perfect bike to learn on... its a light bike and can be tossed around in strong winds...you'll get used to it. might you consider a wind screen. it would help a ton and make commute a bit more pleasant.

i live in the north bay and theres no shortage of off road adventures around here, just need to go looking for them. and remember our roads here in the bay area are crap so no matter what its going to be a little bumpy

s gearing is a little low for freeway,,and the tires do matter,,however wind will be a factor with any open face bike

Thats what wind does.:smirk: Try going on a day not so windy and then seeing how you like it.:smirk:

might you consider a wind screen. it would help a ton and make commute a bit more pleasant.

Oh, sorry, I added one of those too as well as hand guards.

227383_10150594015465247_757645246_18609917_916688_n.jpg

227383_10150594015505247_757645246_18609919_6779749_n.jpg

227383_10150594015545247_757645246_18609920_5929211_n.jpg

227825_10150594025125247_757645246_18610029_3096545_n.jpg

231196_10150594025225247_757645246_18610032_6986050_n.jpg

229189_10150594024740247_757645246_18610024_3773995_n.jpg

Thats what wind does.:smirk: Try going on a day not so windy and then seeing how you like it.:smirk:

a day with out wind around here is the day pigs learn how to fly:banghead:

Oh, sorry, i added one of those too as well as hand guards.

what hwy's do you most take while riding?

My first bike was my '05 400sm, I loved it and I still do. Just take it easy on the bike, no real reason to hit the highway up when you are starting out. Tuck your head down behind the bars and don't sit straight up also! If you aren't going to ride off road, throw some SM tires on, (not knobby tires).

Good luck! Be careful out there

Heavy winds will blow any bike around on the freeway. I was riding my Harley across Wyoming about 10 years ago with strong cross winds gusting up to 60 or so. Even a heavy bike like my Harley had to lean to the side to keep the wind from blowing me off the road. It was a little spooky when the wind would come and go as I had to go from leaning into the wind to not leaning as the gusts came and went. I see you call yourself a beginner. Keep at it and you will find yourself getting comfortable riding in windy conditions as you get more experience. You do know about counter steering to get the bike to lean properly don't you?

Same thing here in Az you think there was a tornado once a week:banghead:

a day with out wind around here is the day pigs learn how to fly:banghead:

Well also you know how we have micro-climates here. It was a perfect day when I left SF but once I got to Pacifica it was like a typhoon was approaching.

Well also you know how we have micro-climates here. It was a perfect day when I left SF but once I got to Pacifica it was like a typhoon was approaching.

very much a micro climate. once you go over the hill to pacifica you never know what your going to get..try riding up the 101 through marin and let me know how tired you are from trying to keep your bike between the lines:banghead:

i grew up in sunset next to the park

what hwy's do you most take while riding?

The one and only time I've been on the freeway was Sunday coming back from San Bruno headed towards SF on the 101.

I commute from SF to Novato in the Mustang daily and had intended on taking the bike once in a while, but not so sure now.

The one and only time I've been on the freeway was Sunday coming back from San Bruno headed towards SF on the 101.

I commute from SF to Novato in the Mustang daily and had intended on taking the bike once in a while, but not so sure now.

short enough commute for the bike but thats a windy stretch. i bet the bridge is fun:smirk: the 101 in that area is bad and even more so when coming through san rafael

i live in the north bay and theres no shortage of off road adventures around here

Like where?

Like where?

all over sonoma county. wether going towards bodega bay or heading more up north through lake berryessa

It's all about personal preference, my friend :smirk:

My DRZ SM was my first bike just over 2 years ago and it has been perfect! I chose the DRZ mainly because of its obvious relability... but I also didn't want the weight of a cruiser or the temptation of ludicrous speed on a sport bike right off the bat. That said, the DRZ isn't the wisest of choices if you're doing mostly highway miles. The DRZ is more than capable, but comfort is something to be desired. I found this out almost immediately. I now have a cruiser for long trips and the DRZ is now used primarily for supermoto track days/races or offroad.