2010 530 EXC Jetting

...and the other half are very happy.

Many people think jetting is a simple matter of sticking in jets 'some guy tells you to' and it will be perfect. That is mistake one. Mistake two is they refuse to clearly articulate what the problem is. Never does anyone actually say:

"Between 1/8th of total throttle travel and 1/2, there is a miss fire when traveling on flat terrain and no load. When going up a slight hill, the miss fire goes away. This gets worse as the temp goes down or the elvelation goes up, humidity remaining constant."

Instead they say:

"I got the kit installed (not following directions but did what 'some guy' said to do) and my bike runs poorly. James Dean kits stink"

Everyone wants to adjust the fuel screw to solve all jetting problems. One size does not fit all. They are heartbroken to find that the fuel screw is for idle only and will not magically add 50 Hp.

I have the same bike, and love it.

Here is what I did.

1. JD jet kit (Red needle 4th clip)

2. O ring mod, thick o-ring

3. De-smogged whole bike

4. Re routed lines from carb to own vent lines.

5. changed gearing from 15/45 to 14/48 to 14/50 and now I'm trying 15/52. It still is pulling hard over 80MPH!

6. Larger water pump

7. Samco hoses with T stat delete

8. Hammer head shifter

9. Scotts steering damper

10. Trail Tech voyager (awesome!)

11. Disc brake guards

12. Moose Racing radiator guards

13. Radiator Fan kit

14. Clockwork desert tank

I have the same bike, and love it.

Here is what I did.

1. JD jet kit (Red needle 4th clip)

2. O ring mod, thick o-ring

3. De-smogged whole bike

4. Re routed lines from carb to own vent lines.

5. changed gearing from 15/45 to 14/48 to 14/50 and now I'm trying 15/52. It still is pulling hard over 80MPH!

6. Larger water pump

7. Samco hoses with T stat delete

8. Hammer head shifter

9. Scotts steering damper

10. Trail Tech voyager (awesome!)

11. Disc brake guards

12. Moose Racing radiator guards

13. Radiator Fan kit

14. Clockwork desert tank

O-RING mod??

...and the other half are very happy.

Many people think jetting is a simple matter of sticking in jets 'some guy tells you to' and it will be perfect. That is mistake one. Mistake two is they refuse to clearly articulate what the problem is. Never does anyone actually say:

Instead they say:

Everyone wants to adjust the fuel screw to solve all jetting problems. One size does not fit all. They are heartbroken to find that the fuel screw is for idle only and will not magically add 50 Hp.

So let's say my bike is doing exactly as your described, and between 1/8th and probably 3/8th throttle or therabouts driving on perfectly flat ground at no engine load whatseoever at 5,000-10,000 feet ....

Is that indicitive of needing a slightly larger pilot jet?

Bike is slightly modded, Thumper Racing 610 kit with an 'air corrector' main jet, bored carb, etc...

I dont know if the jdkit is that good in my opinion.When i got my 08 i jetted it without the kit and it ran fine.Before i went to colorado i bought the jd so i wouldnt have to wast my trip on jetting my bike.When i got home i left the jd in with the recomended jet changes.I couldnt tell much diff than what i did myself.One thing good i can say about the kit is you dont have to take the carb off a bunch of times to get it right.

Also everybody says to put the red needle in.I did that and it was so lean i couldnt ride it, plus i like it to run alittle rich so its not so strapped.