Sign in to follow this  

Need help deciding on 2 bikes for 2 different riders

Looking to get a bike for me and another for my son.

I am 5'9" 180 lbs with a few years of riding experience. First when I was younger on a YZ80 and more recently on the street with a Honda CB750 Nighthawk. I am not a big risk taker but do like to have some fun every now and again.

My 16 year old son is 6' 165 lbs with a lot of snowmobile and 4 wheeler experience. He really likes to push stuff close to the edge.

We mainly want to take day trips, leaving the house, get off road a little in the Nat'l Forrests (2 tracks made for logging) and some motocross parks and ride home. We are looking at the following dual sports but don't know which is the better bike or if there is anything else we should check out. Since it is 2 bikes used would be better, but how do you know if a bike still has some life in it or if it is beat?

Yamaha WR250R - Seat height of 36" may be just a little tall for me but I like the extra snap and see they make a lowering kit.

Yamaha XT250

Suzuki DR250 - Haven't been able to find one yet to get my hands on.

Honda CR230L

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Looking to get a bike for me and another for my son.

I am 5'9" 180 lbs with a few years of riding experience. First when I was younger on a YZ80 and more recently on the street with a Honda CB750 Nighthawk. I am not a big risk taker but do like to have some fun every now and again.

My 16 year old son is 6' 165 lbs with a lot of snowmobile and 4 wheeler experience. He really likes to push stuff close to the edge.

We mainly want to take day trips, leaving the house, get off road a little in the Nat'l Forrests (2 tracks made for logging) and some motocross parks and ride home. We are looking at the following dual sports but don't know which is the better bike or if there is anything else we should check out. Since it is 2 bikes used would be better, but how do you know if a bike still has some life in it or if it is beat?

Yamaha WR250R - Seat height of 36" may be just a little tall for me but I like the extra snap and see they make a lowering kit.

Yamaha XT250

Suzuki DR250 - Haven't been able to find one yet to get my hands on.

Honda CR230L

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Go with the Yamaha WR. It is an awesome bike. It runs more like a good 400. It will run 70 all day and get 70 MPG. The stock tires are the weakest link and wear out fast. But the motor goes forever. I also have a 750 Nighthawk. Love it. I did not want a crotch rocket. Google BigDog. He has over 30,000 miles on his WR. Took a trip to Alaska on it mainly on dirt roads.