Sign in to follow this  

Xr75 Sparking Off Motor

My XR75 is runnIng rough and it is creating a spark from the pipe to the rear brake. I thought that it was a bad ground from the engine to the frame so I took a wire from the engine case to the shock bolt and it shut off. Just like hitting the kill switch. Any ideas? Thanks.

Ok i'm confused. WHy do you have a wire on your rear shock, and what possessed you to short it to the motor?

Also you said it shut the motor off, but it sure sounded like it was running in the video.

I'm confused, can you start over and tell us how you found what you found etc.

There is a spark coming off the pipe archIng off the pipe to the foot brake pedal. I assumed it was a bad ground. That is why I tried to ground the engine to the chassis with the wire. The engine quits when you contact the the two ends.

All that fresh & pretty paint is the answer. Clean up the ground on your coil.

Thanks. I did try that too. I ground the engine cases, the frame, and the motor mounts down to bare metal. Also ground the coil mounts. No change. :smirk: I have replaced the stator, points, condensor, coil, and disconnected the kill switch. Just can't figure out what it is. Very frustrated.

Thanks. I did try that too. I ground the engine cases, the frame, and the motor mounts down to bare metal. Also ground the coil mounts. No change. :smirk: I have replaced the stator, points, condensor, coil, and disconnected the kill switch. Just can't figure out what it is. Very frustrated.

Have you changed the plug and boot yet? Tried grounding the stator directly to the frame rather than having it go through the plate?

Yes I have change the plug and the complete coil and boot. Haven't tried grounding the stator to the frame. I will try it tonight. Thanks