Sign in to follow this  

hand guards

i was just at a motocross race i entered in the open class and got stuck behind a big bike and the guy grabbed a whole lot of throtle and threw a bunch off rocks up that hit hit my hands and it hurt and i was wondering what hand guards for a good price, are good motocross and a little bit of trail riding

For the money, I would recommend the Tusk flag style if you have to stick with the open end guards. If you want to go with closed end guards, for the money I would go with either the FMF Mashers or UFO guards (can't remember the model). I have experience with all 3. I also have a friend that has the espensive Cyrca set up and I honestly cannot see the advantage for spending double what I paid for the UFO guards I'm running now. I know I will get flamed for that, but I'm happy with my choice and at the end of the day that's all the matters, right? :smirk:

For the money, I would recommend the Tusk flag style if you have to stick with the open end guards. If you want to go with closed end guards, for the money I would go with either the FMF Mashers or UFO guards (can't remember the model). I have experience with all 3. I also have a friend that has the espensive Cyrca set up and I honestly cannot see the advantage for spending double what I paid for the UFO guards I'm running now. I know I will get flamed for that, but I'm happy with my choice and at the end of the day that's all the matters, right? :smirk:

Here's where the Cycra shines about the FMF or UFO stuff....the components are replaceable and get-able.

My wife's bike has a set of Acerbis hand guards that are about 4 years old, and the plastic components are molded to the aluminum bar, thus they cannot be easily replaced when broken.

Here's where the Cycra shines about the FMF or UFO stuff....the components are replaceable and get-able.

My wife's bike has a set of Acerbis hand guards that are about 4 years old, and the plastic components are molded to the aluminum bar, thus they cannot be easily replaced when broken.

Might want to double check this info. Friend of mine bought the FMF Mashers with yellow plastic (he's got the yellow YZF plastic) but the yellow was more of a Suzuki yellow. He ordered replacement black plastic pieces because we teased him about having Suzuki guards on a Yamaha. They are attached by bolts and can be replaced.

I can't argue the fact that Cycras have some definite bonuses. The different mounting options being the biggest in my mind. But when I just paid $58 for the UFO guards and they mounted up just fine, I will stick with them for now. It's just a matter of preference and priorities. I paid less than half for the UFO guards compared to the Cycras, and at this point in my life I can use any little bit of money I can save. If money was not an issue, I probably would have gone with Cycra's due to the reviews.

Might want to double check this info. Friend of mine bought the FMF Mashers with yellow plastic (he's got the yellow YZF plastic) but the yellow was more of a Suzuki yellow. He ordered replacement black plastic pieces because we teased him about having Suzuki guards on a Yamaha. They are attached by bolts and can be replaced.

I can't argue the fact that Cycras have some definite bonuses. The different mounting options being the biggest in my mind. But when I just paid $58 for the UFO guards and they mounted up just fine, I will stick with them for now. It's just a matter of preference and priorities. I paid less than half for the UFO guards compared to the Cycras, and at this point in my life I can use any little bit of money I can save. If money was not an issue, I probably would have gone with Cycra's due to the reviews.

I was just going by the pics, they must be attached from the rear then?

I think I paid about that for the guards, but then I went with the Solution Mount (it makes a good protector for my trail tech speedo), and that was another $50. I could have gone with a cheaper mounting system though.

whatever you get, just make sure to buy 2 sets....because you're going to be breaking those things.

i love flag style guards, i just can't keep from snapping them off when i wreck :smirk:

maybe if i had some skills, this hobby of mine wouldn't be so expensive.

I was just going by the pics, they must be attached from the rear then?

I think I paid about that for the guards, but then I went with the Solution Mount (it makes a good protector for my trail tech speedo), and that was another $50. I could have gone with a cheaper mounting system though.

I just checked the UFO Pro guards and you can actually buy replacement mounts, aluminum bars and plastic for them as well. I didn't see the pricing anywhere though.

I was originally leaning towards a couple of the Acerbis full wrap models. But after discovering every model comes standard with the 7/8" mounting kit and you have to buy the 1 1/8" on top of the price, I went another route. I never could figure out why you can't order the style guards you want, and then order the mounting kit to fit your application. Seemed a little silly to me, but maybe I just never found these in the right place that sells them this way.

i bought the acerbis full wrap ones and just drilled/ground the mounts to fit my 1-1/8 bars

Been happy with Acerbis full wrap, never had one come apart and have tried hard to do that.

Have also liked Moose full wrap, these ones you have to buy separate plastic covers and bolt them on but they are durable.

The strangest is Turner full wrap, these things don't even make sense. The metal part is in sections so they are extra adjustable....but problem is you have to tighten them real tight or they are worthless, and if you tighten them like they should be, they strip. I am not talking about how they mount to the bars, this is the dang guard itself...silly design. BUT I did have them hold up in a bike cartwheel where the bars were bent to heck and these things stayed intact and I did not lose any levers or perches.

I have gotten price lucky on eBay and Craigslist.