is this a good deal?

How much are they asking? Is the bike in good condition other than the top end? Are you sure the bike only needs a top end? A top end can be just a piston and ring or it can involve new sleeve, new piston, new rings, new reeds, etc. We really need more information. If it is in good condition and only needs a new piston and rings, then I would estimate the value being $500 dollars or less. You can pick up a really clean running KX for $1200 to $2000. I only paid $1200 for mine and it looks and runs like brand new.

he's telling me the lowest is 900, although he did get a total bottom end rebuild, its still worth 500?? cuz ill offer lower or back out...and by top end, it only needs piston and rings.

BUT... there is another bike that needs piston and rings, its a 2006 kx85 he said the lowest is 875...

which of the 2 bikes would be the better deal, thanks so much again

Neither one are really good deals. Actually the 85 may be slightly better but I wouldn't go for either one. It seems to me that if you add the price of the top end to the price of the bike you could just buy a fully running bike. Figure the top end will be about 150 to 200 dollars. That puts the total price for the bike at 1100 dollars. You could probably find another bike that runs for near that price and you wont have to give away your labor.

how old are you and what is your riding experience? (i'd ask your height but that doesn't matter that much IMO unless you're smaller then 5'1 or something. i'm 5'2 and ride a 125, 250 and 250f all with a 1" lowering link, just takes talent to balance tiptop ? but i can JUST tip toe 1 side with my butt kidn of off the seat, if there's a rut where i am trying to tiptoe i've been known to tip over trying to stand in it (hey, I can't lie ;p)

if you have never ridden before I would try to sheer away from a kx250 for now. Though, that is just my opinion. a 2s 250 is a lot of bike, esp for someone who has never ridden before. I'm not saying you won't be able to ride it or anything like that, i'm just saying if you have choice right away... you could get seriously hurt if you've never ridden. i wanted a 250 when i started and everyone pushed me away from it, and i'm glad they did or i would have destroyed myself at first more then I manage to now! hah

Also an 85 would be about 3-4" smaller (year depending), height wise, then a stock kx250 i believe, or at least with 17"/14" wheels on it - not sure if it has 'big wheels' or not and about 50lbs lighter then a 250. the power difference would be pretty sever I think as well (never ridden an 85 though)

just my 2cents!

good luck and be safe:)

If we are talking about which bike is better for you then that is a different conversation. As far as bikes being a good deal? Does the 250 Run at all? Even a worn top end will generally run. If it is worn to the point of not running then you may have more than just ring seal problems.

5' 11" 160lbs the 85 would be way to small for you. The 250 would be the one I would go with. As far a good fit for you personally with out knowing your skill level. A 250F or a 125 2 stroke may be a better bike to learn on. You can learn on the 250 2 stroke but it will command respect.

I was thinking about the 250 and it may be worth it at about 700. Still not a smokin deal but not a bad deal either.

5' 11" 160lbs the 85 would be way to small for you. The 250 would be the one I would go with. As far a good fit for you personally with out knowing your skill level. A 250F or a 125 2 stroke may be a better bike to learn on. You can learn on the 250 2 stroke but it will command respect.

I was thinking about the 250 and it may be worth it at about 700. Still not a smokin deal but not a bad deal either.

okay, ill check around for a 125, see what i can find, maybe i can talk the guy down lower, if not whatever...

i would, but i like working on engines and stuff, so if i can find one cheap that needs work ill do that over buying one that runs

problem is, they usually arnt cheap in the long run.

but if all you can do is "make payments" well then....

Working on a bike can be a great experience and can save you a bunch of money if the deal is right. As previously stated, what does the person mean when it just needs a top-end? Someone saying it needs a "top-end" can turn out to be quite costly. If it is simply worn piston and/or rings, that is one thing.. If a ring broke or wristpin bearings / piston seized, etc., I would rebuild the bottom end just to be on the safe side.