What is the deal with spring rates for the 11 450SXF ??

A friend just recently got a 2011 450SXF , we have been having a hard time getting anything for the forks over a 54 , he just ordered some 54's tonight from RG3 , and they had to scramble to get them , they also seem to be the only ones that make anything stiffer than a 52

My friend is 6'5" and weighs 260 w/o gear , i am 5'10" and weigh 210 w/o gear , and the bike is just waaaaay too soft , we understand that most of the issue is in the valving and that will be fixed soon , but why would KTM or anyone else not offer a spring capable to hold a larger rider ?? , 52 seems to be the available # , only 1 step up from the stock 51 , it does not make any sense:banghead: we are completely out of adjustments on the clickers

A friend just recently got a 2011 450SXF , we have been having a hard time getting anything for the forks over a 54 , he just ordered some 54's tonight from RG3 , and they had to scramble to get them , they also seem to be the only ones that make anything stiffer than a 52

My friend is 6'5" and weighs 260 w/o gear , i am 5'10" and weigh 210 w/o gear , and the bike is just waaaaay too soft , we understand that most of the issue is in the valving and that will be fixed soon , but why would KTM or anyone else not offer a spring capable to hold a larger rider ?? , 52 seems to be the available # , only 1 step up from the stock 51 , it does not make any sense:banghead: we are completely out of adjustments on the clickers

Add preload spacers bro to get that front end up and lower the fork legs.

Got the forks all the way to the cap , set the sag at 110 to keep the front up , .....wouldn't spacers cause spring bind ???

Not sure what you have in there now, but they will help. Have you measured the length of springs and spacers combined yet? If you are bottoming, add oil. I personally think those heavy spring rates will be too much, but if you want those forks to stay up in the stroke, RG3 does a real good job with that. Real good in fact. Tell Rob you want the SX setup and you'll see what I mean.

Not sure what you have in there now, but they will help. Have you measured the length of springs and spacers combined yet? If you are bottoming, add oil. I personally think those heavy spring rates will be too much, but if you want those forks to stay up in the stroke, RG3 does a real good job with that. Real good in fact. Tell Rob you want the SX setup and you'll see what I mean.

At the moment everything is bone stock , 51 forks , 5.8 shock , already got with Grant at RG3 , they are over-nighting some 54's and a 6.0 shock spring , i dont think they will be too much , as its pretty much blowing thru the valving with the stock springs , but we are not bottoming out , which is weird

At the moment everything is bone stock , 51 forks , 5.8 shock , already got with Grant at RG3 , they are over-nighting some 54's and a 6.0 shock spring , i dont think they will be too much , as its pretty much blowing thru the valving with the stock springs , but we are not bottoming out , which is weird

All the 11's are like that. The first part of the stroke is useless and they sag. Adding compression, or spacers, or stiffer springs is the easiest fix outside of valving. But for less than $200, RG3 will valve it so it's a great deal. They will stiffen it up if the springs don't do the trick.

Yea the valving is going to happen soon , but he wanted to get it a little more stable to ride on the track so he can figure out exactly what he wants the valving to alter , so springs had to come first , but like i said in my 1st post ,, i don't get why KTM (and most everyone else for that matter) only goes 1 rate higher than stock , when there are tons(no pun intended) of larger riders out there that are over 200 lbs (self included) , so you would think they would make spring rate's to accomodate them/us