2002 RM 125 needs needs facelift for speed budget $1500

Just picked up RM 125 2002 love the hit of the powerband even over my last bike kx 250 less tork but the topend loves to scream.

I plain to do 20% trail 20% open field wide open and 60% track

I'm 6ft 180pd

I have a dented stop pipe and a FMF Shorty exhust

Was thinking of piston/ring, reeds/cage, pipe/silencer, do they still make racing airboxes?

Pls help upgrade me

Don't really want to loose the killer topend for trade of mid and low although could benifit a lil more on lowend

Well the suspension was redone for 170pd rider although it does have this irritating sqweek but just looking for hoopup mods and alt part that will make the bike faster without loosing its characteristics don't want a 250 torky feel and want to keep the reliability so kinda want to avoid the bigbore did it to my old 80 with porting to a 100 and hated its lurky feel

I can tell you that in no way, shape, or form does the 144 big bore make your bike feel like a 250f or 250 2t. The 144 big bore is essentially a 125 on steroids; same light feel of the bike paired with an increase in power through the powerband. Since the suspension is fairly close to your weight, maybe just go through it and fix any parts that may be causing the squeeking. IMO reeds are the biggest waste of $140 I have ever put into my bike. They made the power feel no different than before. A new pipe did make a small difference back, so I would look into that. Of course, replacing the top end will freshen up the bike and make it feel as if it pushing out more power. In my opinion, I wouldnt let past experiences with big bores scare you away from gorr's 144 kit. Do a little research and you will get plenty of opinions explaining how it still feels like a 125, just with a little more power everywhere ?

Well when I brought it the prvious owner said it needed reeds so I brought vforce cage and reeds it has a shorty silencer and a dented stock pipe so I brought a FMF Fatty I guess I'm gonna see how it goes for a few weeks then upgrade but how dependable is this bigbore compared to a stock was thinking of getting a high compression wisco piston but maybe open to putting that on hold and getting bigbore

Well when I brought it the prvious owner said it needed reeds so I brought vforce cage and reeds it has a shorty silencer and a dented stock pipe so I brought a FMF Fatty I guess I'm gonna see how it goes for a few weeks then upgrade but how dependable is this bigbore compared to a stock was thinking of getting a high compression wisco piston but maybe open to putting that on hold and getting bigbore
What about air box options?

I have never heard of any air box aftermarket options nor would I think that they would be worth the money.

My 144 has been very dependable (granted it only has one season on it). Ive logged quite a few hours on it on both mx and trails and the piston and ring checked out just fine over the winter. When sending your engine to Erig Gorr, he allows you to choose what you want your powerband to be like, what octane gas you want to run, and ultimately what compression. The only thing that is a bit frustrating with the big bore is a few minor jetting changes, but you will have to do that anyway since you already ordered a new pipe and reeds.

Well just went to englishtown for a lil mx riding wirth my daughter we had a blast she hit the peewee track and changed the gears had her footout and all I'm supped I even got to get dirty on the track and its been years

I am sure the big bore 144 kit is bitchen, but you should realy get your suspension totaly to your liking first. I never understand why everybody wants motor mods and bolt on performance parts before making sure the suspension is perfect for them. As far as other mods, Run it stock other than bolt ons till it wont go fast enough for you anymore. Save some money, make sure it has a fresh top end, make sure the bottom end is good. You already adressed your dented pipe issue, so now rejet after the motor is like new and ride the hell out of it. These 125's were very fast stock.It would really suck for you to spend a bunch of money on mods only to find the bottom end goes out soon, then your out of cash to fix it. Maybe do some fit upgrades too, bars, seat, ect... JMO

bump for what bambam said. suspention and brakes are first in my book bikes modern bikes are pretty good stock nowdays. It doesn't help having a beast of a moter if you cannot move the power to the ground and feel comftable riding it... smooth and comferable = better lap times